Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PSA: Intermediate Steering Shaft: Omix vs. Crown

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default PSA: Intermediate Steering Shaft: Omix vs. Crown

PSA

I recently replaced my intermediate steering shaft. I found a lot of write-ups that required cutting a channel into the steering column output shaft in order to allow the shaft bolt to cross over.

THIS MAY NOT BE REQUIRED!

I first ordered a Crown shaft, and the setup of the through bolt would have required modifying the column output shaft.

I then ordered the Omix shaft, and it was identical to OEM(or PO installed) unit, including stamps and fabrication. It fit perfectly in my 96 with no modification.

The Crown shaft had loose joints on delivery, was missing hardware, had burrs obstructing threads, and poorly staked bearing caps (one nearly fell out when I was trying to install).

I'd recommend the Omix here, and rather than remove the steering box, disconnect the battery and loosen the steering column, it's much easier than dealing with broken steering box hardware .

Top - OEM/PO installed intermediate steering shaft, 96XJ, steering column end.<br/>Bottom - Crown auto intermediate steering shaft, 96XJ, steering column end, incorrect through bolt depth.

Last edited by kevin__jeep; 09-02-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Try to make image display smaller