Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Proper use of jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001 XJ Limited
Model: Cherokee
Default Proper use of jack stands?

I was hoping someone could briefly explain the proper way to jack up a cherokee and put it on jack stands. I am specifically talking about jacking up the rear. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but this is new to me, and I want to make sure I do it properly for SAFETY! Any info with proper steps would greatly be appreciated so I don't drop it on myself!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

First of all you need to chalk the front wheels so it will not roll once in the air. Then jack up one side of the rear end and place a jack stand under it at the desired height. Just dont jack it up or place the stand on the shock mounts and youll be fine. Repeat on the other side if you want both tires in the air. Then give the back bumper a rock up and down to ensure it is secure and wont fall on you once your under your rig.

There is never a dumb question when it comes to safety , good luck
Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 PM

Year: 2001 XJ Limited

Thanks for the info. Do you put the jack stands under the axle? That is what I am thinking
Old 02-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 90

You can put them under the axle tubes, or on the frame, if you need to work on the axle. If you put them under the frame/unibody make sure it is somewhere solid and you may need to put something under the stand to boost the height (large stepping stones or large flat pieces of wood). Just make sure and try to rock the jeep a bit and make sure it is solid before you crawl under it.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 PM

Year: 95

i found these pics online , i hope they help . use the same principle of this truck for the rear you were asking about.

here is stands on the frame rails

Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L i6

Originally Posted by littleredXJ
You can put them under the axle tubes, or on the frame, if you need to work on the axle. If you put them under the frame/unibody make sure it is somewhere solid and you may need to put something under the stand to boost the height (large stepping stones or large flat pieces of wood). Just make sure and try to rock the jeep a bit and make sure it is solid before you crawl under it.
Jesus Christ, did he just say to put the jack stands on top of rocks?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper
Jesus Christ, did he just say to put the jack stands on top of rocks?
No. If you read closer he says to ROCK the jeep. Like push it back and forth a little. You do this to make sure that it is properly mounted onto the jacks or the hydraulic lift and ensure that whoever crawls underneath doesn't get crushed.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

you should get yourself a good floor jack. i use a 3.5 ton shop jack.
i start by jacking up the rear by the center of the pumpkin, lifting both wheels off the ground. with a good jack, it is very stable this way. then i extend my 6 ton jack stands to the height of the axle tubes as far out to the edges as i can get them for the best stability.

make sure the jack stands are at even heights.

i use 6 ton stands for the foot print size and height i can get safely, if i need to go to the frame rails, with my lift height, i have used cinder blocks and set my stands on those as they're wide and strong if used in the correct way.

i also use my jack under the diffs to spin the vehicle around to where i need it. i wouldn't use a cheap jack for this.

there is a spot on the frame where it is reinforced (double stamp steel) just in between the wheels, this is where i set the stands when using the frame.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:43 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by svt cobra
First of all you need to chalk the front wheels so it will not roll once in the air. Then jack up one side of the rear end and place a jack stand under it at the desired height. Just dont jack it up or place the stand on the shock mounts and youll be fine. Repeat on the other side if you want both tires in the air. Then give the back bumper a rock up and down to ensure it is secure and wont fall on you once your under your rig.

There is never a dumb question when it comes to safety , good luck
Yes, safety is everything. My buddy puts the removed tires under the vehicle just in case all else fails.
Attached Images