Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Problem Ideling, and starting, stench of gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Problem Ideling, and starting, stench of gas

about a week ago, I drive my jeep no problem, then I go to start and it doesnt start, it attempts and wont click over, if I pump my gas it starts up until I let my foot of the gas where it shortly dies out. Also when I start it it reaks of gas, the repitition of trying to start kills my battery... I put a dry gas mixture in it, replace the air filter and bought a new gas cap, cleaned off all the terminal's, it starts up no problem but still smells like gas and idels really funny, although drive able... The only think I could think of is a bad fuel filter or fuel pump, but since those are located in the gas tank it will be a pain in the *** and cost alot of money, any one have any advice or experienced similar problems?

any response is appr.
Thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes the model year will help. I assume its a 97+ becasue you said the pump was in the tank. My '96 had a small issue with the fuel filter getting clogged and leaking. But not sure if that helps you at all. I tried.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trs80
Sometimes the model year will help. I assume its a 97+ becasue you said the pump was in the tank. My '96 had a small issue with the fuel filter getting clogged and leaking. But not sure if that helps you at all. I tried.

yah sorry its a 97' i checked the fuel line and there seems to be no visible leakage either.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:13 PM

Sometimes the injectors will leak. Check the o-rings around them. Other then that Im guessing.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Not had this issue with my XJ, but I had a Grand Am, and the fuel pressure regulator seal was bad, so when the engine was cold, and you cranked it up, fuel would leak out. Made it smell very strongly of gas until it heated up enough to seal, and eventually it got hard to crank, as not enough fuel was getting by the leak to start the engine. Part cost me about $60 and it was a simple one bolt install.

Could be something to look at it. In all honesty, I don't even know where the regulator is on my XJ, but somewhere on the fuel rail =p