Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Problem (fuel rail) and project help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Problem (fuel rail) and project help.

1989 XJ 4.0 4x4 auto 83,xxx miles.

I discovered last evening that my fuel rail is leaking. It's not leaking at any injectors. It appears to be leaking at the little cylinder at the top of the fuel rail. Is that called the pressure regulator?

I pulled off the metal fuel line and check a new o-ring I installed last Feb. It still looked new. But the little plastic white clip you press to take it off is broke. Can I buy just a new plastic clip thing? Although the fuel does not appear to be coming out there anyway but I know some things are funny.
Once again the fuel appears to be coming from the cylinder thing and not the injector.

What does it sound like is wrong?

Also when I fix this fuel problem I'm biting the bullet and going all the way and fixing my exhaust manifold gasket and exhaust system. I will be asking questions on that I'm sure but before just tearing it all down is like to figure out why my fuel is leaking?
Old 10-11-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Wanted to let everyone know that I solved the fuel leaking problem a few days ago.

The fuel was leaking at the fuel pressure regulator.

It's two star head screws holding it on. I changed the o-ring and so far all is ok. I would have changed this o-ring last feburary when I did my injector o-rings if I had known it was there.

I should have did a simple write-up for future lookers but I did this in the dark with a flashlight (carefully). So it's pretty dang easy.