Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Problem with AC Controls and Radio

Old 08-07-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Problem with AC Controls and Radio

I have a 1999 Cherokee Limited with 83,000 miles. When I turn on the AC I have to have the fan on low until air starts coming out of the vents. If I turn it up to high before air starts coming out of the vents or the fan is already on high when I turn on the AC the air will come out the defrost vents instead of the AC / air vents. Sometimes when I have the AC on and the fan on high and accelerate quickly it will switch from air blowing out the AC /air vents to the defrost vents and I have to turn the fan back to low until the air is coming out of the AC /air vents before I can turn the fan back up to high. I suspect there is a vacuum solenoid somewhere that controls the air flapper that needs to be replaced. Has anyone had this problem and found the fix?

Also, the radio will only play on the rear speakers now, the front speakers no longer work. I replaced the front speakers several years ago but now neither front speaker works. Does anyone know where I can send the radio to be checked and repaired or a good source for a replacement radio?

Thanks for your help.

Sunman
Old 11-27-2020, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2ppp
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L Engine(ERH)/4Sp Auto Trans(DGS

after I installed my own radio I had problems with my vent controls it was due to my wiring
Old 11-27-2020, 04:36 PM

Received 206 Likes on 134 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Your AC-vent problem sounds vacuum related. I would check that system for a solution as it sounds like you have a leak. I don't think you need or want to replace the vacuum door. Make sure your reservoir bottle located behind the front right bumper is intact!

Take a known good speaker and hook it up to your wires for a front door speaker and see if it works. I would think your problem there is the speakers or the wiring to them in the front doors, not the radio. But replacement radios are available everywhere from Crutchfield on down to your local Wally world or Amazon.
I would not bother to try another 21 year old radio from a Upull it yard.