Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Preventative maintenance at 120k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:49 PM
HRK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Preventative maintenance at 120k miles?

My 2001 XJ is actually over 120k and I'd like to take care of anything that might be an issue over the next 30k-50k miles before it craps out on me. I'm planning on some long overland-style trips this year so I really don't want to get stranded due to negligence. Here's the list I have, should I add (or remove) anything?

Crank sensor
02 sensors
Both radiator hoses, and thermostat
Heater hoses
Belt
U Joints
IAT / MAF / TPS sensors?
Injectors and coils (this one has individual coil packs)?

The Jeep is in great shape, I think the u-joints and differentials were actually rebuilt recently, but even so - alot of the OEM stuff has me worried:

Last edited by HRK; 01-19-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like a good list. My XJ is at 124k so I'm interested in what other people say. Personally, with those sensors I'd carry them as spares, wait to install till you have symptoms. I'd also check for play in the suspension, ball joints etc. Looks like you have the coolant flush covered. What about plugs? An 01 has coil on plug right? Leave the coils alone unless you're getting a misfire.

Last edited by elwoodblues; 01-19-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:16 PM
HRK

Yup, coil on plugs. Maybe I'll just carry an extra coil with me, along with the sensors and similar wearable parts. Good call on the suspension and steering. Plugs also a good idea!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:25 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Good ideas so far. Most of the sensors will outlast the vehicle, carrying spares - particularly of the CPS, which replacements can be questionable quality-wise - is definitely the most prudent.

In addition to the coolant flush, do the other fluids too. Brake fluid is often overlooked. A simple drain and refill of the transmission (no flush), transfer case, and axles goes a long way!

Inspecting and cleaning electrical connections is another good way to avoid problems. Pay special attention to the grounds and other exposed connections such as the battery terminals - they are particularly prone to corrosion and will cause quite the headache.

Last edited by salad; 01-19-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:32 PM

Another thing that just came to mind is making sure the front brake caliper slides are lubed good, seen seized ones ruin someone's day, that's for sure.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:47 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Yeah change your diff fluid. My buddy just roasted his Tacoma's rear axle because he never got it changed. $5 of fluid or $1000 axle job
Old 01-20-2017, 11:07 AM
HRK

Great ideas, thanks guys. Keep them coming! I also thought of doing a transmission service but not sure exactly when those are due. Should I be worried about injectors? Heater core failure?

Last edited by HRK; 01-20-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Transmission oil should ideally be done every 30-35,000 miles, or two years-ish. Just a simple drain and fill is all that is required. No flush, and it doesn't have an actual filter (just a protective screen).

Injectors and heater core are good for a very long time, unless they leak. Flushing will take care of the heater core.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by HRK
Great ideas, thanks guys. Keep them coming! I also thought of doing a transmission service but not sure exactly when those are due. Should I be worried about injectors? Heater core failure?
i wouldn't touch the heater core unless you have an issue. not a bad idea to prepare the parts, and research the process, but it's a very time consuming job that i wouldn't do unless i absolutely have to.

the injectors can be replaced but you shouldn't be worried about them. if you replace them just do the 703 upgrade (or whatever type of injectors fit your jeep, while i'm typing i don't know your year)

the transmission service can be a simple drain and fill, repeat the process 3-4 times throughout the day and drive around in between fills
Old 01-20-2017, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

For sensors, a good idea is to go to a Junkyard and get OEM spares for super cheap. Carry them as spares in the toolbox you keep in your Jeep.

For maintenance, change all fluids (don't forget power steering), ignition tune up, electrical tune up (clean all grounds and major connectors, battery terminals, starter terminals). Cooling system tune-up is a good idea - radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat, and rad cap). Inspect all critical bolts (mostly suspension), remove the slip yoke and grease (and grease everything basically), lube door locks and hinges. Clean throttle body and IAC.

Consider deep cleaning everything to make it feel newer (clay + polish +compound if you care enough, wax it at the least - Collinite 845 is great)

Edit:

New 4-hole injectors is a good idea too.

Last edited by investinwaffles; 01-20-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Some good advice given. But jeez where are you going to Argentina?

At 120k miles and if taken good care of, i don't think you got too much to worry about.
I would agree however carry an extra Mopar CPS as a minimum and maybe a TPS, IAC and MAP sensor. If you plan on keeping your xj, they'll come in handy sooner or later.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Maybe replace fuel pump if it's original? I've gotten stuck a couple of times in other vehicles when the pumps suddenly failed. (Last time it was in the middle of a construction zone, no fun at all!) Other things that might fail around that mileage would be alternator and water pump.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

im at 185000 and with all ive read + the great help on this forum i would say be as prepared as you are willing to be. i have replaced most of the big items pumps sensors hoses plugs joints. Im driving a 99 and one things ive been impressed by out of a well maintained vehicle is how far it can really go on parts people expect to change at 100000. Unfortunately there is always unexpected items that crap out big or small on importance.

I say check fuses, pumps, identify any leaks or power surges. get the vehicle off the ground and intimately inspect joints and suspension. CPS, alternator are they newish? do gauges fluctuate at all. make sure fluids are in good shape an have some basic tools + back up fluids.

as noted clean all contacts grounds and keep spares of fuses, relays, sensor+ common mechanical parts depending on the level of wheeling you plan to do. If you have spent enough time in a particular rig youll develop an ear for the health of your vehicle, or a feel to its condition. ill notice a difference of an oil change after 3000. take a stroll for a while windows down if you can and just listen and feel. the rest is luck and preparation but dont fix what isnt broken.

if your going alone pack some gear to hunker down. Im used to wheeling out deep mountain alone, which isnt recommended but be prepared.

lastly have fun man! it would be cool if you follow up here after your trips with anything your glad you did or wish you did before.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:33 AM

Another idea would be if you already know what areas you'll be in, maybe start to get a feel for what shops you would use if a breakdown did occur, so you're not scrambling at the last minute and end up at a sub-par shop. I'd also get a AAA membership too.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:31 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

From my reading of these posts, I recommend keeping a written record of when maintenance is done on your vehicle(preventive or otherwise). Some of you are really in the fog on when and if previous maintenance was done.