Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Prebent rear hard brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Prebent rear hard brake lines?

Does anyone have a link to pre bent oem replacement rear hard brake lines? My front still look good but when getting under the XJ to fix some other things recently I noticed the rears are in bad shape, to the point I'm afraid to even touch them until I have some replacements on hand.
I would prefer to just buy prebent oem replacements and in a stainless steel if possible rather than mess with sections from autozone and bending, flaring, etc as I have never done that myself before.
I couldnt find anything online to this point for a 99 XJ....
Old 12-05-2014, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyno89
Does anyone have a link to pre bent oem replacement rear hard brake lines? My front still look good but when getting under the XJ to fix some other things recently I noticed the rears are in bad shape, to the point I'm afraid to even touch them until I have some replacements on hand.
I would prefer to just buy prebent oem replacements and in a stainless steel if possible rather than mess with sections from autozone and bending, flaring, etc as I have never done that myself before.
I couldnt find anything online to this point for a 99 XJ....
The long brake tube that goes from the metric lines at the proportioning valve back to the hose for the block on top of the rear axle is OEM part number 52127967. You can get it here, or at your dealer. The dealer will charge you $37.00. If you are old enough ask for a 10% senior citizen discount.

http://stores.revolutionparts.com/mo...h_str=52127967

The two tubes that go from the block on the axle to the rear brakes are rear axle specfic, that is, it depends upon whether you have a Dana 35 axle with or without Antilock brakes or a Chrysler 8.25 axle.

The block/hose piece can be bought at you local parts store.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
The long brake tube that goes from the metric lines at the proportioning valve back to the hose for the block on top of the rear axle is OEM part number 52127967. You can get it here, or at your dealer. The dealer will charge you $37.00. If you are old enough ask for a 10% senior citizen discount.

The two tubes that go from the block on the axle to the rear brakes are rear axle specfic, that is, it depends upon whether you have a Dana 35 axle with or without Antilock brakes or a Chrysler 8.25 axle.

Ok so this is the steel hard brake line that runs from the engine bay the whole way to the soft rear drum brake lines correct? And theres just one hard line from the front to back of a 99 XJ correct? Thanks!
Old 12-05-2014, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

You can get them at your local dealership. Grab the VIN off your jeep so the guy at the counter can plug it in and get you the right parts.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
You can get them at your local dealership. Grab the VIN off your jeep so the guy at the counter can plug it in and get you the right parts.
Ok thanks! And just to verify, is there one rear hard line or two? This is my first XJ so I'm not all that familiar with it yet, but from what I could see it just looked like one hard brake steel line running from up front along the rail to the back to the axle connections.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

There is one hard line running from the reservoir to the connection with the rear rubber brake hose on the axle.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Ok so this is the steel hard brake line that runs from the engine bay the whole way to the soft rear drum brake lines correct? And theres just one hard line from the front to back of a 99 XJ correct? Thanks!
Correct.

I replaced mine a few years back. Piece of cake.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:27 PM

Correct.

I replaced mine a few years back. Piece of cake.
Yea I didn't think it would be too difficult, I've replaced rotors, pads, stuff like that myself but never the hard lines, is there anything specific I should be aware of when taking the old one off and installing the new one or anything to look out for? I know when bleeding disk brakes or replacing the soft lines you're not supposed to let the master cylinder fluid level drop low enough to get air in the cylinder, do I need to plug anything while removing the old one until I get the new one fished in there and bolted up or is it simply remove the old one bolt up the new one once it's fished up through then bleed the rear brakes?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Yea I didn't think it would be too difficult, I've replaced rotors, pads, stuff like that myself but never the hard lines, is there anything specific I should be aware of when taking the old one off and installing the new one or anything to look out for? I know when bleeding disk brakes or replacing the soft lines you're not supposed to let the master cylinder fluid level drop low enough to get air in the cylinder, do I need to plug anything while removing the old one until I get the new one fished in there and bolted up or is it simply remove the old one bolt up the new one once it's fished up through then bleed the rear brakes?
Stack up a bunch of rags below the master cylinder. Brake fluid is like paint stripper and will eat the paint off anything it touches.

The brake lines coming out of the proportioning valve are metric nuts and the tube you will be replacing has SAE nuts so you'll need a hand full of wrenches to do this.

When installing the new tube, tape the open ends up to keep dirt out. Lay it on the ground under the right side of the engine, tail end towards the tail end. Feed the tube in slowly up and around all the structures up front and along the frame rail . The last bit is on the tricky side getting it twisted around just right to meet the proportioning valve tubing. Don't get stressed and bend the tube up. Take you time.

Bleed all four brakes.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:59 PM

Year: 1998

Finelinesinc.com
Old 12-05-2014, 07:16 PM

Great info, thanks again!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are old enough ask for a 10% senior citizen discount.
At the Dealership? They never mentioned it. Someone's got some 'splainin to do.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:38 AM

Well if you want a good laugh look at this, I went to order from that link online and they are telling me its a $190 shipping charge. What a joke....

ORDER SUMMARY
$26.09 LINE-BRAKE
Part #52127967
Subtotal $26.09
Shipping $190.00
Total $216.09
Promo code

Two other places had it for around $15 shipping, so I ordered from one of them.

Last edited by Dyno89; 12-06-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:29 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Radi
At the Dealership? They never mentioned it. Someone's got some 'splainin to do.
You gotta ask.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:50 PM

Ok so now the other place I ordered online emailed me back saying its $200 to ship this also. I've ordered vinyl wrap in 8 foot tubes that cost the supplier $20 to ship, are these places out of their mind?$?!

Should any local Jeep dealer carry this brake line?

Quick Reply: Prebent rear hard brake lines?