Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

powertrax lock right locker

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default powertrax lock right locker

i went ahead and bought a powertrax lock right locker for my C8.25 in my 92 XJ. in the manual that came with it it states that you can keep the diff in the housing in some cases but not in others. does anyone know if you have to remove the diff in this case? i was gonna do it this afternoon after work but i'm not sure if i'll have enough time. also got the ox locker for the dana 30 up front. thats gonna have to wait till this weekend becuase i def dont have the time to do that till later. still have to get new and set up bearings and shims and all that great stuff to do the install on that the right way. thanks for any help guys.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 AM

I've seen writeup on Aussie lockers for the 8.25, which basically is the same thing so i would say you can do it without removing the carrier
Old 04-22-2009, 08:13 AM

thats what i was hoping
Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

it depends on your gear ratio I believe. lower gears have thicker ring gears and and won't allow you access / clearance to get at everything. At least thats what its like for the d35. I would try to put it in without removing the carrier, if you can't then take it out, install, put everything back in right where it came from and check backlash.
If you put it all right back where it came from with the same carrier, ring, and pinnion bearings, in the same rotational position, torqued to the correct spec, backlash theoretically shouldn't change.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

sick color scheme btw. my first xj was flat army green with gloss black bumpers, rockers, fenders. I loved it.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 AM

thanks for the info...should i have to take my axles out at all? or will the locker slide in? yeah the paint job came on a whim. i was gonna paint it all nice and shiny. then i got to thinkin.....this is gonna be my trail rig so why make it all pretty when i'm gonna mess it up again? no point in my opinion. thanks for your help
Old 04-22-2009, 07:47 PM

so it took me about 2 hours to install the powertrax lock right into my xj. no major problems. i haven't driven it yet becuase i wanted the RTV on the diff cover to set up before i filled it with fluid and my girlfriend is cooking me dinner so i'll wait till tomorrow to put some fluid in it and drive it to make sure its working correctly. i'll let you guys know how it works tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 PM

any problems that you encountered? or little tricks to get the c-clips back in with the locker half put in the carrier?

I just put a aussie in my d30, and if it works well, I'll throw one in the rear.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 PM

i didn't run into any problems until today. got the diff cover back on and went to test it in the front yard. put it in 2wd first and drove about 50 ft. then i gave it a little gas in a sandy area (we live way out in BFE) and only the passenger tire spun. so i put it in 4wd and farted around a bit and it didin't seem to be doing anything special of course this isn't off road and i can't really guage this but it should spin both tires in the rear if i'm just messin around and doing a little burnout. well i put it back in 2wd and go to put it back in gear to park it and find out whats going on and the rear diff was sounded like something really weird was going on. so i park the jeep and take the rear diff cover off after i get it back up in the air. i put it in neutral and spin the driveshaft. the locker works by pushing the inner gears against the outer gears that are splined with the axle. well they push out with springs. well it seems like there isn't enough force in the springs to hold the inner gears out and locked into the outer gears. they just keep pushing apart. so now i'm kinda stuck and i dont know what to do. i just emailed richmond gear and hopefully i'll hear back from them tomorrow. good thing that it isn't my daily driver because i'd have to yank the locker back out and put the spider gears back in....that would suck. its just really weird if you ask me. but other than that the C-clips...put the driver side in first and then when you go to put the passenger side in move your axle out to where its flush with the outer gear. then put your inner gear and spacer in and push them against the driver side...that should give you just enough space to get the c-clip back in. then once you get the c-clip back in move that inner gear back over to the passenger side and seat the spacer over the c-clip then you should glob a good bit of grease on there to hold it in place...then you can go ahead and put your shear pins and springs in. after that you can put your pinion shaft back in. its not bad really. i was a jet mechanic when i was in the marine corps so i'm used to getting my hands into tight places. just dont get frustrated and dont forget the washers that are on the back of the side gears that you took off the axles...you'll need those for the outer gears on the locker. i'll let you guys know what richmond gear says...unless one of you knows how i messed up and can enlighten me so i feel like less of a dumbass! please!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:33 PM

bummer that it didnt work,... I know Aussie has crazy good tech support.

I was thinking, that if you did break a axle shaft and had to replace it on the trail, would having the locker in there make it harder to replace the shaft? would you have to take out the locker at least half of the way to get the c-clip out?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 PM

i think that would be the case. getting the driver side in wasn't a problem becuase the case was pretty much empty. but the passenger side would probably be a real ***** on the trail. my suggestion.........buy chormoly axles! lol