Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power windows prob. NOT electrical!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Power windows prob. NOT electrical!?!

My passenger front window has not worked.. Like since I bought the thing.

My girlfriend is getting tired of it. Psshh.

I'm pretty certain it's not electrical, because both switches work, motor starts humming all the way, stop. All the other way, stop.

So Monday I'm going to teach my gf about fixing broken sh**.

I saw this write up and am going to try out it but am just wondering if anyone else has tried it an what their results were, and any pointers.

http://jeepxj1998.blogspot.ca/2005/1...w-and.html?m=1

Check this out
Old 05-18-2013, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '99 and '91

I did it on my 99 when one day while driving the window decided to go from half open to the bottom of the door. Lol

Worked perfect. Make sure you drill small holes for the cotter pins, I went a bit too big and there's a bit of play now when rolling the window up and down, still works fine though. Also, if you have an assortment of cotter pins, text a few with out reassembling it completely and make sure it slides fine.

Also, grease the track before you reinstall everything to keep it sliding good.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Cool, yeah my window is stuck all the way up so i'm not sure what's going on with it. But only one way to find out.

I'll pick up some cotter pins then and take your advice with grease and small holes. I should also pick up some glue for the door's weather sealer too right?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Mine still had enough tackiness I just stick it back on. Where it didn't I just used a but of masking tape. The door panel holds it in place anyways, its not like its waterproof and air tight anyways lol. You talking about the big piece of plastic stuff between the door panel and the guts of the door right?

Your window might just be held up by being wedged in the window seals (or a its a different problem entirely lol), be careful going over bumps if you have to drive again.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah I'm hoping that the track that moves it is some how f***** up, and nothing else. But as we all know with Cherokees it's never that easy. And by holes I just meant the ones I'll be drilling to put the cotter pins through.

I'm not even 100% sure what it's going to look like when I pull it apart, but I'll figure it out as I go along. This Cherokees been the best teacher I've had with all the **** I've learned to do on it haha.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Yea I reread it and deleted that comment lol. I thought at first you said "grease the holes" not "grease AND holes"

Its really easy honestly. I thought it'd be a lot harder. It also makes a lot more sense once you have the parts out in front of you. Measure twice drill once btw. There's not a lot of room to make more holes if you mess it up.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok sounds good. Can't wait to pull it apart. So did you go out and by cotter pins before you tackled it? Like are there different sizes I should be looking for?

And also you said to watch over bumps? Had yours ever gone back down after this repair?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

No, I had an assortment of cotter pins that me and my dad have had for a while I think it came from Harbor Freight, can't remember. Its got tons of different sizes. I just tried a few until it fit right. I honestly couldn't tell you what size. I don't even know what their sizes ARE. Lol

I'd say unless you buy an assortment, just take it out and apart and take the regulator and worm gear up to wherever you buy cotter pins and see what fits best.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Seasoned Member

So if anyone else is following, I wasn't able to get to the window Monday. Instead I now get to do my rear drums. Which are apparently no good. So, I'll get that done, and when I get around to the window fix I'll post some pics and any wisdom I can pass on about it. I don't like when people don't post follow ups, so just hang tight.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Well I tackled it to tonight. Sure enough the plastic part that the worm screw is held to the bracket was broken. So I tried this trick, and the bracket now moves up and down the track. Good good.
But, when it's all assembled and back together, when i roll the window down it goes down crooked and gets stuck. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe the window itself isn't on a track? I don't know.
I'll get at er again this weekend.
Also, I found this on the track. The PO was retarded. Everything I've fixed I've noticed he tried to, and did a half assed job.
A pair of clamps holding the window up.
Attached Thumbnails Power windows prob. NOT electrical!?!-image-2452966655.jpg   Power windows prob. NOT electrical!?!-image-2454002002.jpg  
Old 06-21-2013, 05:34 AM
CF Veteran

Wouldn't you know, my window fix with cotter pin broke on the way out to our camping trip memorial day weekend. Fixed it at the camp site with zip ties.

I put a JY regulator in this time. Didn't feel like getting just a bracket and drilling holes out again.

When it slides up and down does it move the worm gear (the long flexible rod thing that moves in the metal track housing)? If it doesn't then the plastic piece that holds onto the worm gear is worn.

If its not that, the motor could be bad.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Oh man. Well I didn't think it'd be a permanent fix. I even thought about zip ties.

But the motor on mine is fine, worm screw moves in and out. And with the bracket attached it moves fine. It even moves the window up and down, BUT, the window moves down on an angle and gets stuck. And moves up on an angle and gets stuck. So I have to grab the window and give it a hand.

Glad it's staying up.. My city of calgary is flooding bad right now.. Downtown evacuated.. **** show here. Very wet..
Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Seasoned Member

9 times out of 10, you're better off just getting a new regulator and motor. It's somewhat pricey ($70 at rockauto.com, $100 at the parts store), but it'll last you another five years at least.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Well my junkyard regulator looked in great shape and it only cost me $11. If it lasts a year I'd be happy. Then I'll just fix it with cotter pins again to last another year. Then if/when it breaks I'll go get another JY regulator. Lol

I wouldn't be surprised if the JY regulator lasts a lot longer than a year. Hell, my 99 passenger side lasted from the factory until 2 years ago.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Member

I got lucky and there was a 98 limited at the junk yard on Saturday. Poor thing was in great shape, but a flood rolled through the city and this XJ had about 2 inches of caked mud on the floor. Plus side is I snagged its regulator for $20, installed, and after about 2 and a half years my passenger window works.
Success! Fixed the door hinge thingy that keeps the door all the way open while I was at it too.