Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

power window lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default power window lock

I got this jeep a while back (95 xj, mostly stock) for a badass daily driver. The driver door was odd, had a manual window and lock instead of power like the other 3, guy said it was stuck shut and he had to cut a hole in it to get it open or some bs. Anyway, problem is, he said the window lock was on when he took the old door off, so none of the other doors window switches work. Any suggestions? Do I replace the motor, switches, whole door with manual Windows, or is there some way to reprogram them somehow?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Odds are that the PO hacked the wiring harness and you're looking at a fairly drawn out endeavor. I believe that the master relay feed for all 4 windows/locks goes through the driver's switch. That said, you're probably best off to find a complete power door and replace it. A wiring diagram and connector set might help as well.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:29 PM

So if I get a new drivers door and wire it up, I should be ok? Your right I think he cut the wiring harness, but then again I DID see the pigtail for the speaker (which still works) so maybe it won't be so bad
Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brocephus
I got this jeep a while back (95 xj, mostly stock) for a badass daily driver. The driver door was odd, had a manual window and lock instead of power like the other 3, guy said it was stuck shut and he had to cut a hole in it to get it open or some bs. Anyway, problem is, he said the window lock was on when he took the old door off, so none of the other doors window switches work. Any suggestions? Do I replace the motor, switches, whole door with manual Windows, or is there some way to reprogram them somehow?
Ok couple of options come to mind. Pull the door panels( need an upholstery puller) then look to see if the wiring harness is still in all of the doors. You can find door panels with the switches and handles as complete sets on eBay. I haven't looked for a single but they are probably there. If the wiring is present you can just reconnect it when you put in the new panel. You can also find a lot of people selling just the switches and handles for the pre 96 doors. I found that it was cheaper to buy a full set of four panels with all the handles and switches included. I paid like 130 for a full set and it was 60 for a switch set.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-96-JEEP-CHEROKEE-WAGONEER-FRONT-BLACK-LH-MASTER-DOOR-LOCK-WINDOW-SWITCHES-/181717266030?fits=Model%3ACherokee&hash=item2a4f316e6e&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-96-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-Or-Wagoneer-Door-Panels-Full-Set-Gray-OEM-/201331468915?hash=item2ee04a6a73&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Cheddarnut; 04-29-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:41 PM

I got wiring in the back doors and drivers door, but the passenger front wiring is gone due to it bein manual lock and window too, so that's gunna **** me off I'm sure, and idea if there's a plug inside the body for that part or am I in for A LOT of splicin?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:46 PM

I got wiring in the back doors and drivers door, but the passenger front wiring is gone due to it bein manual lock and window too, so that's gunna **** me off I'm sure, and idea if there's a plug inside the body for that part or am I in for A LOT of splicin?
The wiring comes in a bundle through the door and plugs into a module for the lock. Big one for the driver door, cause it's six switches and little one on the passenger door. It would be pretty hard to pull the wires out, so they would have likely unplugged it at left it or cut it off. Plus it is possible somebody did a door swap a subbed a manual door.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:49 PM

It's cut on the passenger side. I can see it cut flush with the body. Door is definitely swapped. My jeep is white and the door was green, rattle canned white (neatly)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:03 PM

It's cut on the passenger side. I can see it cut flush with the body. Door is definitely swapped. My jeep is white and the door was green, rattle canned white (neatly)
That sucks. Why wouldn't they just unplug it and leave it? Well you can splice each wire into a new switch, there is nothing complicated, just tedious. I have seen a few sites that sell a compete wire harness for the doors but they were stupidly expensive. The passenger side isn't too bad since it's just one switch and the door lock.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:29 PM

I can splice no problem. I work at a shop, so supplies like quick crimps and marine shrink tube are pretty much unlimited lol
Old 05-03-2015, 03:23 PM

Default update

I put a whole new door on, spliced the harness together and all I got is locks. No power to any other wires except the speaker wiring. All fuzes are good, no visible damage to wiring, I'm out of ideas
Old 05-03-2015, 03:31 PM

I put a whole new door on, spliced the harness together and all I got is locks. No power to any other wires except the speaker wiring. All fuzes are good, no visible damage to wiring, I'm out of ideas
You can back track to the relays and make sure someone didn't pull them. When I get home I can post the wiring diagram for the power windows and relays.