Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

power window issue and electrical

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default power window issue and electrical

i have an xj jeep cherokee country i just bought, overall like the thing. One issue is the power windows. The windows only work on the drivers door, i can roll all the windows down from the drivers door but the window controls do not work from any of the other windows. unrelated: also a clicking coming from by the climate control unit under the hood clicks on and off while the engine is running. got a busted fog light, and the rear hatch struts don't hold it up. the doors are hard to open and make a popping sound i see some play in the pins on the doors tho. there's slight rust, but overall a very nice truck.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

For the window problem, it's likely a bad 'window lock switch'. Most people, including myself, have run a jumper wire by-pass on the wiring loom. It disables the lock switch and regains access to all the window switches. Do a search for it on the forum, there is plenty of info on how to do it.... As for your other problems, I'm not sure but someone else will surely chim in. Good luck!
Tbyrd
Old 05-05-2011, 03:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 L

I dont know about the climate control. And my problem is opposite. My motors on the windows are going out. One window dead the other 3 slow to move. Id assume witht he climate control clicking on and off might be a safety feature if theres a short. But honestly dont know. I dont have one. Dont have heating or air conditioning. My jeep is a rust bucket from hell.. Fog light should be an easy replacement. Pick up a chiltons or haynes manual. quadratec.com has them fairly cheap. The shocks to hold the rear hatch up are EXPENSIVE i dont know how to remove them. Mine are dead as well been meaning to hit up a junk yard for some working replacements as new they go for 60 each or more. My front doors are easy to open but the rear you REALLY have to mash the button in. I assume some grease or wd 40 on the mechanisms inside would alleviate this problem. Welcome to the jeep world. The most satisfying and utterly frustrating place to begin.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:41 AM

thank you, for the windows my first guess was going to be the lock switch none of the other switches light up either so they probably aren't getting power.

the gas shocks for the hatch are replacements from the junkyard paid 15$ for them and they have the same issue, one end is two bolts the other end you pry back the clip with a flathead and it should pop off, about 40$ on ebay for a set with lifetime warranty.

i will probably call the junkyard about a fog light tomorrow. also i try'd wd-40 to no avail i think i will go to white lithium for the doors instead.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors
Default free on line manual

http://www.filestube.com/537d2723635...ual-84-93.html