Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

power steering question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default power steering question

Okay so, 98 cherokee sport 140,000 miles 4.0

My power steering fluid is charred, and it is time to replace it. I have two questions regarding this.

1.) do i HAVE to use Mopar PS fluid? I was in Pepboys, and they had it for 9.75 per bottle. I do not plan on using ATF4 or DexIII in it. I just want to know if i could use any of the other brand. I was thinking of using the Prestone Brand. Pepboys had a larger bottle then the mopar, but it was half the price, and it says it is compatible with gm/ chrysler etc. So would you guys advise doing that? or is it just best to use the mopar?

2.) I plan on using the turkey baster method, but what is the best way to do it? I mean, obviously i have to suck out the old, and pour in the new, but does the truck have to be on or off? do i have to turn the steering wheel? Do i do it all at once or do drain and fills like the transmission?

Let me know what you guys think

Also, on a different note - I drove for about 300 miles with the oil level just a centimeter below the beginning of the safe area. Is it a big deal? I usually always check levels, but this past month has been insane. Thanks
Old 01-10-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

It is my understanding that any power steering fluid will work. I use PS fluid but have used tranny fluid many times in a pinch.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Vehicle off when putting PS fluid in. You can use the turkey baster. Just drain out as much as you can and add new fluid. All you can really do. When it came to mine I used the baster the same way. And scott I like the improvising using tranny fluid in a pinch. I even used, when my steering was pouring like a civ before I got it replaced, I mixed power steering fluid with stop leak and mixed brake fluid into it. Thought it was a crazy idea from my dad at the time but it actually lasted longer than just fluid. But anyway back to the question just try to get as much old fluid out as you can with the baster and refill. You really can use any power steering fluid doesn't matter.