Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Steering Pump Loud! Will not Bleed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Power Steering Pump Loud! Will not Bleed.

Hey Guys,

This is my first post at this site and hope I can get some good information. I have searched this forum and have not found any information that like my situation.

I picked up a 2000 XJ last Saturday and it had a blown Pressure side line from the power steering pump. I bought it thinking I could replace the line, bleed it and get a good deal out of it. Guy drove it around a while with no power steering so my steering shaft is making a little clunk whenever turning but that's another story. So I replaced the pressure hose and bled it the old fashioned way, jack the front up turn the wheel lock to lock, that whole thing. The pump quieted up a little bit but was pretty loud still. I drove it about a mile and couldn't even hear my radio it was so loud. Drive it back and the fluid is real foamy, so I try bleeding it again. Same thing. So my next thought was that the pump is bad.

I replaced the pump with a Reman. and hook up everything, jack the front up, bleed it and yet again after about a mile it just sounds awful under my hood, foamy fluid. The Pump was so hot I couldn't touch it and when I took the cap off, it steamed off. So the next step I did was bought a mityvac and bled it using that method. Worked great, pump was quiet, had power steering, everything was good. Drove about a mile and it kept getting louder and louder. Opened up the hood and there is steam or smoke coming off just like the previous times. The pump gets extremely hot and the smoke smells like sulfur almost.

So now I am at the point of where I am not sure what is going on. All my connections seem fine, no leaks. When bleeding it with the mityvac, it doesn't start making a whole lot of noise until I come from about 55mph and let of the gas and start to brake then it gets loud and stays loud. I also lose power steering when I am stopped (low rpm). I ordered a new return house and metal fitting, thinking I could be sucking air in through that somehow. If it is not that then I have no idea where to go next.

Has anyone have this same problem before? I have owned 3 XJ's in the past so I know the pump always has a little whine, but this is different.

Last edited by viane; 05-23-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Take pump back I had to try 3 diff ones ended up getting a junk yard one been fine ever since .
Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I agree. I went thru 2 reman A1 Cardone gear boxes and 3 A1 Cardone pumps before I found one that worked correctly.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:02 PM

Update: Replaced the Return line and fitting and it works great until everything gets hot then it gets loud again. Looks like the fluid is boiling almost. Extremely hot. And I get smoke from near the steering box and from the PS pump reservoirs. Bad pump? Or is there a seal by the box that can take in air. Box might be bad. looks like the shaft wiggles a little.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by viane
Update: Replaced the Return line and fitting and it works great until everything gets hot then it gets loud again. Looks like the fluid is boiling almost. Extremely hot. And I get smoke from near the steering box and from the PS pump reservoirs. Bad pump? Or is there a seal by the box that can take in air. Box might be bad. looks like the shaft wiggles a little.
Just blew two pressure hoses running no longer than 5 minutes a piece. I'm starting to get real frustrated. Especially because the parts store for is 20 miles away
Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 PM

Im thinking something is jammed or clogged in my steering box that is causing that much pressure to build up. Anyone ever have this or heard this happening?