Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power mirrors not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Power mirrors not working

Bought my jeep about 4 months ago and love it! All my windows and power locks work but not my mirrors. I was assuming that since all my windows and my locks work that my mirrors should too being that the switch to control them is in the same module. Any help in getting this fixed would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't worry about it if I were the only driver of the jeep but since I'm not it would be awesome if I could get them working. There are no blown fuses.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

It might be related to the same (very) common issue of the power window switch not working (or the variant: none of the power windows work other than operated from the driver side window module): either a wiring issue (wires going through the 'tunnel' out of the door into the car ( at least for the oposite side mirror > wires damaged.
Or, and what would be the fix (for that issue and maybe therefore also the power mirrors): to resolder the contact point on the module 'board'.

When I took mine apart, I noticed that the power mirror 'switch' (the 4-direction like-button) was just a little plate pushing tiny rods down. It might be worth taking a look to check if it makes enough contact and have a close look at the solder points. These might have tiny hairline cracks in them, causing issues. It was hard to believe those were the culprit, but resoldering them fixed my issue with the power windows.
Not sure if this helps, but that's all I can advice on this.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998

jeeps are prone to broken wires in the door as stated before, quick way to determine if it's the wiring or the mirrors them selves is a test light at the connectors for the mirrors, have they ever worked?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 i6

Yeah, got the same problem. Gonna check the wiring, my speakers go in and out a lot in my doors too.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:34 AM

Engine: 4.0

The circuit board for the switches have poor solder joints which tends to be the culprit, especially with the window lockout switch. I took mine apart, relfowed everything, and now all is well. Like a previous poster said, there's a rubber bad with metal copper contacts in them for the mirrors. If it's no longer properly seated, it won't be able to complete the circuits for the mirrors to work.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:26 AM

Year: 1999 Classic

Originally Posted by Roler
It might be related to the same (very) common issue of the power window switch not working (or the variant: none of the power windows work other than operated from the driver side window module): either a wiring issue (wires going through the 'tunnel' out of the door into the car ( at least for the oposite side mirror > wires damaged.
Or, and what would be the fix (for that issue and maybe therefore also the power mirrors): to resolder the contact point on the module 'board'.

When I took mine apart, I noticed that the power mirror 'switch' (the 4-direction like-button) was just a little plate pushing tiny rods down. It might be worth taking a look to check if it makes enough contact and have a close look at the solder points. These might have tiny hairline cracks in them, causing issues. It was hard to believe those were the culprit, but resoldering them fixed my issue with the power windows.
Not sure if this helps, but that's all I can advice on this.

I did the same thing. It fixed the windows, might fix your mirrors.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks for all the insights. I've resoldered all the solder points a while ago when I was having window issues, but it never did fix my mirror issue. Mirrors have not worked since I've had the jeep and there's no power to connector that goes to mirrors when checked with test light. I'll check to make sure all the contacts are making a good connection. thanks again.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:15 PM

So i verified I'm getting power to my switch and the rubber pad is seated properly. Still got nothing. When i check the mirror connector there's no power there. I'm really hoping I don't have to buy a whole new door module just to get my mirrors working.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:49 PM

Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by Terry98xj
So i verified I'm getting power to my switch and the rubber pad is seated properly. Still got nothing. When i check the mirror connector there's no power there. I'm really hoping I don't have to buy a whole new door module just to get my mirrors working.
I wouldn't put much money in it personally. Use your hand. How often do you adjust your mirrors anyway?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by rgr4475
I wouldn't put much money in it personally. Use your hand. How often do you adjust your mirrors anyway?
Under normal circumstances I'd never move them, but my 15yr old got her permit in December and she wants to drive everywhere. It's just a giant pain in the a@@ to constantly move them back and forth by hand.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:11 PM

Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by Terry98xj
Under normal circumstances I'd never move them, but my 15yr old got her permit in December and she wants to drive everywhere. It's just a giant pain in the a@@ to constantly move them back and forth by hand.
I gotcha. Yeah I'm sure that would get old quick.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998

you probably have a broken wire not necessarily a bad module. try operating the mirrors with the door open in various spots. if it starts to work suspect a wire. do you have power coming out of the switch(at the switch)
Old 03-12-2014, 11:27 PM

Got nodda come out of the switch.I'll try the door open at various positions tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:27 AM

Year: 1999 Classic

I, also did the wire fix, except it was foe speakers. There is a Youtube video, for the door wires, Ez fix, but does take some time.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:48 PM

Finally got em working. I saw on here somewhere that fuse 18 in the in cabin fuse block was for the mirror switch. In my owners manual it said 18 was an open bank so i never questioned it. Just for S and G I put a fuse in 18 anyway and voila they work. The lesson learned is don't always trust the generic manufacturer manuals. I feel like quite the a@#.
The following users liked this post:
Bad@$$ Beth the XJ (06-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Power mirrors not working