Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power master switch not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Power master switch not working

Sorry for another thread about this, but I looked through some of the others posted, and wasn't finding another problem just like mine.

To start, it's a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4X4 4.0l - 4 door

problem: it seems like the master switch is inoperable. nothing works at all on the drivers side incl; window switches, mirrors, door locks. The entire switch appears to be dead. None of the other window switches work, but the passenger front door lock works.

I've looked and tested every fuse in both fuse panels that I know of (passenger side kick panel and the fuse box in the engine compartment)

I actually bought a new master switch, plugged it in, still nothing.

I've taken a brief look at the wires to see if I could see any poor/bad connections, and everything appears to be fine.. I'm at a loss, and do not know where to go from here!

anyone have any tips on where to go from here?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:40 PM

TTT - Anyone? I'm at a loss...
Old 04-17-2010, 04:48 PM

I can't imagine that I'm the only one on here who has had a problem like this. Seriously, nobody has anything to say on this?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Default Exact same problem

I have the EXACT same problem on my 04 cherokee. If you figured it out let me know PLEASE. I have also taken the entire door apart, checked the fuses, and connections. The only power I have is to my passenger side door locks.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

you guys got bad wires somewhere. start tracing or get a multimeter on the power lines. maybe run a jumper to know you got power so that it would point to a bad ground
Old 05-13-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by superj
you guys got bad wires somewhere. start tracing or get a multimeter on the power lines. maybe run a jumper to know you got power so that it would point to a bad ground
where were you a month ago?!? thank you for the reply though.

Originally Posted by sweetchuck
I have the EXACT same problem on my 04 cherokee. If you figured it out let me know PLEASE. I have also taken the entire door apart, checked the fuses, and connections. The only power I have is to my passenger side door locks.
I couldn't track it down, so I broke down and took it to the dealer. I live in Michigan, and took it to a place that my father-n-law trusts in Kalamazoo. The tech tracked down the problem citing-sp? some bad wiring, then replaced/repaired the bad wire(s). I haven't had time to take it apart and see which wire he replaced yet since I just got back from vacation, but I'm sure it's only a couple of wires, maybe just one.

If you can wait a bit, I'll take apart the door (because I'm curious as well as to what he did), take some pics, and post them up for you. I should have time on Sunday (hopefully) to do this. Possibly mon/tues though.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Tony? as in MIVE Tony?
Old 05-13-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by miglia-spyder
Tony? as in MIVE Tony?
shhh. it's a secret. yep, that's me! could you guess by my username? what's happening?!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Ha Hey man! Yeah I saw your username and and then Tony in the Sig.

So what made you want a jeep?

Oh by the way this is a really good forum! Lots of good stuff happening here!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

I guess it was the power lead, going through the rubber sleeve between body & door? (or just on either side of it). Sorry I didn't see this a month ago. Otherwise I would of suggested to take a voltmeter. And test it at fuse box (both sides), that tell you have power there. Next check the backside switch at the terminals. If no power, problems in between the two. (the rubber sleeve between body & door) It's a common ware spot. And think about how many times that door has been opened, and closed. And while the door is apart, replace the clips on the locking rod. (There cheap to buy.) They become brittle over time, and break. Beats doing it a couple of months later. Again think about how many times that door has been opened, and closed. Locked/Unlocked.......................................... ........................JMO! My younger brother is a marine mechanic at Irish Boat Works, Charlivox MI. Beautiful area there.

Last edited by 91 limited owner; 05-14-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
I guess it was the power lead, going through the rubber sleeve between body & door? ...
I think the tech who worked on our jeep said something to this effect. It was basically in the door/rubber sleeve area. There wasn't any power going to the switch, and I ran out of time to dissect the door/harness any further.. we paid $257 to have them fix it, and I'm ok with it..

I hope that helps the other guy on here though! do it up!

miglia,
It's my wifes jeep. She had it before we met. It's a solid motor for sure, and has been really reliable. She's sick of it, and wants to get rid of it.. I'm a little hesitant since our other 2 cars are older VW's.. and you know where I'm going with this.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:29 AM

a little update:
after wee got it back, about 2 weeks went by and all the rest of the windows stopped working at their respective switches, they only work at the master switch. lame.

I bet though, if I dig into it, and find out where the tech replaced the wiring for the main switch, I'll see something funky going on with some of the other wiring.

anyone have any suggestions?