Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power lock issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Power lock issues

First off for some vehicle background, I got my jeep 01 cherokee about 2 years ago and the door locks were a little weird, to use the power locks to lock or unlock the drivers door had to be closed. Also the guy I bought it from said it had keyless entry but he had lost the remote. So I ordered a remote and took it to the dealership to get it programmed to my vehicle. There they told me something was wrong with my locks and that they had to replace the part for my locks to work and that also my keyless receiver was bad and it needed a new one of those as well. Well they wanted like 400 dollars to replace the receiver so I figured it wasn't really worth it so I just got the power locks part replaced and my locks worked fine.

Now lately my power locks have been really spotty, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I was wondering if anyone knew a fix for this or if it could be tied to my rear hatch because it has also stopped opening a lot of times and I think the could be bad and didn't know if that could interfere. My window locks have also been messed up since the day I bought it, no matter how many times I hit the button the only way you can control the windows is from the drivers door and none of the passenger doors so I didn't know if this could be interfering as well.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO

i have some very similar issues. driver side rear door lock is very spotty, the hatch lock doesn't work anymore and none of passengers can control their windows
Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 AM

Sometimes when my hatch sticks if you push in on the hatch right above the handle and then pull the handle at the same time it should open or that usually works for me when I'm having trouble with that.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Ahh jeep lock problems..lol. I had a similar problem and replaced the lock actuator on the "Bad Doors" and now they work great again. The JY is your friend with this one...Tj
Old 03-13-2010, 11:44 AM

I had brokem wires under the drivers feet on my 94 ,I do not know if they made a chamge to this ****ty design but my jeep experienced the exact same symptoms you have. Hope this helps
Steve
Old 03-13-2010, 11:50 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 High Output

My rear passenger door is the only lock i'm having problems with. Seems to only work when i'm not picking up friends and whatnot.

Also my front passenger window is sketchy as well. It will go down but i usually have to put it back up. Passengers control only works on occasion.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by AppXJ
My window locks have also been messed up since the day I bought it, no matter how many times I hit the button the only way you can control the windows is from the drivers door and none of the passenger doors so I didn't know if this could be interfering as well.

Thanks for your help.
The first thing I would do is pop off your driver's side door panel. Mine did the same thing and I thought I would have to try the splice trick shown in a few threads, but when I replaced my speakers I found the top-most connector inside the door panel had been disconnected. Plugged it back in and checked all the windows, they now all work perfectly. My wife was extra happy with me since I had to roll her window down and up for two months since we bought the thing. My child-safety lock works now too, so I can still take away window-privileges from my wife and friends When I want.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:02 PM

That sounds like a solution to all the problems I've been having so I will definitely check that out tomorrow. Thanks a lot.