Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Door Locks only work with key out of ignition

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 05:31 PM

Received 157 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Power Door Locks only work with key out of ignition

I have a strange occurrence that has me stumped. With the key off and out of the ignition my power door locks work fine. Lock, unlock from both the drivers switch and passenger switch.

But when I insert the key into the ignition only the unlock function works. The lock side is dead.

This is with key in ignition in OFF, ACC or ON position, doesn't matter.

Pull the key out and it works.

Any ideas? I did try new drivers and passenger switches and it made no difference so I doubt it's that. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001

Did you look at the wiring that is where it bends when you open and close the door ?
Old 11-04-2022, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by tech
Did you look at the wiring that is where it bends when you open and close the door ?
I had all the wiring out of the doors, cleaned them and inspected them. Of course you know there are a lot of wires so I could have missed one. But they all seemed to be intact.

If the locks are actuating with the key out of the ignition, wouldn't that mean that the wiring in the doors is okay? I would think if I had a faulty wire somewhere in the door, they wouldn't work at all.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:37 AM

Received 312 Likes on 216 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I suppose you can look at the bright side... you're a lot less likely to lock the keys in the car.

But more useful perhaps, does anything else not work under that circumstance? Wipers, rear defrost, etc etc. If there's something else that would help chase it down.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by exasemech
I suppose you can look at the bright side... you're a lot less likely to lock the keys in the car.

But more useful perhaps, does anything else not work under that circumstance? Wipers, rear defrost, etc etc. If there's something else that would help chase it down.
I checked the horn, wipers, hazards, turn signals, back up lights, headlights, defroster, rear window wiper, foglight switch(no fogs hooked up yet), radio, blower fan, interior lights. They all work when they should. Oh, and it also starts and runs.

Do these vehicles have the feature where the doors auto lock when you put the transmission into reverse? Is there a wire under the console for this? When I had it out, I recall two wires with bulbs for the indicators and one that hooked to the parking brake assembly. I don't recall others.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l

Door locks should NOT work with key in ignition and door (driver or passenger front) open, this is to prevent accidental key in car lockout. With the door closed the power lock should lock car key in ignition or not.

There is no feature to auto lock doors when transmission is placed into reverse/drive. The only real feature is whether the horn honks when doors are locked with the RKE (Keyless fob), the "how to" enable/disable instructions are discussed in the owners manual.
The following 3 users liked this post by Glasply:
MXDNJSport (11-04-2022), Old Man Minimalist (11-04-2022), rmeav8er (12-11-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 06:53 PM

Thanks all for the help and responses. It was as simple as closing the drivers door. Everything works as it should.

Next up will be adding a remote unlock kit. I have the transmitter but no fobs and I hear you are better off going aftermarket in this case.

Looks pretty simple to install and I have the dome light out right now as part of my interior overhaul.