The Jeep Wave

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default The Jeep Wave

I found this on another site and thought it was kinda cool.

Definition: The Jeep Wave
An honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class, and discomfort tolerance to own the ultimate vehicle - the Jeep. Generally consists of vigorous side-to-side motion of one or both hands, but may be modified to suit circumstances and locally accepted etiquette.
Examples of commonly accepted modifications:
  • Top off: One handed wave above windshield or outside body tub
  • Top off during blizzard: Shiver and nod, hands may remain frozen to steering wheel
  • Southern/rural locations: Raise fingers from steering wheel, nod
It's not what you buy, it's what you build and what you do with it.

In keeping with this cardinal rule of Jeeping, categories have been established to account for each part of the equation.
These categories are:
  • The Jeep Waving Hierarchy: Based on the vehicle itself. Takes into account the nostalgia factor, the discomfort tolerance quotient, and the amount of owner dedication required to maintain the steed.
  • The Modifying Sub-categories: Based on what you do with your Jeep.
  • Equipment Adjustments: What you build.
General Rules:

1. All Jeepers are responsible for upholding the tradition of the Wave. Upon contact with a higher scoring Jeep, a Jeeper is required to initiate the Wave, and continue the Wave until:
a. The Wave is returned
b. The Wave is blatantly disregarded
c. The higher scoring vehicle has passed by and is out of sight

2. All Jeepers are required to return the Wave, unless the initiating vehicle clearly has a negative (below 0) score.
3. All Jeepers are encouraged, but not required, to return the Wave to negative balance vehicles, and take any opportunity presented to guide and mentor them about their responsibilities to their Jeeps in the hopes that they can correct the error of their ways.
4. When unsure of status or wave requirements of a particular encounter, or unable to completely assess the other Jeep's score quickly enough to ensure that the proper Jeep Wave Etiquette rules are followed, immediately initiate wave. It is the spirit of waving that is most important so when in doubt:
Just Wave!

The Jeep Waving Hierarchy:

• Category A - Pre-CJ (******/Kaiser/MB/etc): 30
  • Category B - Pre-AMC CJ: 27
  • Category C - CJ: 25
  • Category D - Commando: 20
  • Category E - YJ: 16
  • Category F - TJ: 15
  • Category G - Cherokee, Wagoneer: 10
  • Category H - All other Jeeps: 5
  • Category I - All other 4WD vehicles EXCEPT yuppie Explorers: 0
  • Category J - All other vehicles
The Modifying Sub-Categories:

MSC Guidelines:
1. MSCs must be considered during all Jeep encounters, and wave patterns must be adjusted accordingly.
2. MSC 5 is the median - the accepted norm.
3. MSCs from 1 through 4 will increase score as listed.
4. MSCs 6 and 7 will decrease score as listed.
  • MSC 1: Top off; vehicle, driver, and all occupants covered with mud: +30
  • MSC 2: Top partially off; vehicle and some occupants covered with Mud: +20
  • MSC 3: Top on; vehicle covered with mud: +10
  • MSC 4: Top off during snow, sleet, hail, or heavy rain: +5
  • MSC 5: Somewhat dirty: 0
  • MSC 6: Obviously recently washed, but immediately re-muddied a little: -10
  • MSC 7: Clean, dry, unscratched, untested: -30
Equipment Adjustments:

Consideration must be given to the current mechanical condition of the vehicle, including all modifications for trailworthiness, comfort, appearance, and spouse-appeasal. These are known as Equipment Adjustments (EAs). EAs are only granted after the work has been completed. We all have plans for EAs, but only the ones actually implemented can be scored.
EAs are a complicated category, and often difficult to appraise under certain conditions (passing head-to-head at 60 mph, when covered with mud, etc) but must be used to modify score when feasible. If a vehicle is so covered with mud that you are unable to ascertain any of the EAs, you MUST assume that the EAs, when combined with the MSC 1 adjustment, would place the vehicle in a higher scoring position than any non-MSC 1 Jeep, and immediately initiate the wave. Otherwise, EAs will adjust score as follows:

Engine:

Stock, Pre-CJ, Working Condition: +2 Stock, 8-cyl: +2 Stock, 6-cyl: +1 Stock, 4-cyl: 0 Replaced, 8-cyl: +3 Replaced, 6-cyl (replacing 4-cyl): +2 Replaced, 6-cyl (replacing 6-cyl): 0 Replaced, 6-cyl (replacing 8-cyl): -1 Replaced, 4-cyl: -1 Drivetrain Modifications: Improved internal mechanical parts (crank/cam/etc): +2 each Upgraded Transmission: NV4500 or Turbo400: +3, All others: +2 Upgraded Transfer Case: +2 Improved exterior mechanical parts (headers/manifolds/pumps/filters/etc): +1 each Stone stock in a pre-1970 vehicle: +3 (for nostalgia and historical analysis) All Comfort enhancements removed for more power: +2 Tires: Stock or unremarkable: 0 Original Tires on Pre-CJ: +2 Slightly oversized (up to 31"): +1 Over 31, with other appropriate mods: +2 Any size, currently covered with mud: +2 Working tires > 31" with original donut spare: -2 Low-profile: -10 Suspension: Stock, Pre-CJ: +2 if driver can still walk after an hour in the saddle Body lift: +1/inch Suspension lift: +2/inch Spring-Over Lift: +3 High-quality shocks: +2 Lowered: -20 Other accessories/conditions: Winch, heavy-duty, obviously used: +2 Winch, heavy-duty, use unclear: +1 Other winch, obviously used: +1 Little, chrome-covered, toy winch: -1 Lockers: +2 Upgraded axles: +1 Upgraded transfer case: +1 Each chrome accessory currently shiny: -1 Each neon accessory: -2 Fire extinguishers: +1 Block and Tackle, anchors, etc: +2 Ropes, straps, tow chains: +1 Tow Hooks: +1 Nerf Bars/Rock Rails, used and scarred: +2 Nerf Bars, shiny, no scars: -1 Heavy duty bash/skid plates: +1 Other protective plating (diamond plate, etc): +2 if scarred, -2 if unscarred Extra fuel tanks/oversize fuel tanks: +1 External Gear Carrying Rack: +1 Multi disc-CD Player: -1 More than one subwoofer: -1 each First Aid Kit: +1 Backpack, food, emergency gear (just in case): +2 On-board air compressor: +1 On-board Welder: +2 Girly, shiny chrome center caps: -1 Krylon home-made paint job: +1 (for realizing it's just going to happen again) Blackout Headlight Covers: -1 Any little flippy interior vanity mirrors: -1 Children in vehicle: +1/each (for proper training/indoctrination), +2 if muddy, an immediate correction if not belted in. EARNED trip stickers/badges/etc: +1/each Unearned stickers/badges/etc: -2/each Stickers advertising for other than 4wd-related businesses: -2 (except No Fear: -5) MSC 1 vehicle in corporate lot sharing with neighbor vehicles: +1 per vehicle decorated Correct mental attitude, seen or proven: +3 Windshield down: +1 (+2 if raining/snowing) Bugs left on face/teeth as evidence of recent windshield down driving: +1 (+2 if more than a week old) CB radio or other communication tool (for emergency only): +1 Hi-Lift Jack: +2 Flexible caulking to fill leaks and body damage: +2 Dogs as passengers, properly secured: +1 (sharing the joy of Jeeping) Bringing a new Jeeper into the Family: +5 Extra Lighting, used for night-wheeling, not pastel or neon colored: +1/ea Original military machine gun on Category A Jeep: +30 Battle Scars: Mashed hood, top, etc., obviously from roll-over: +3 Holes above glove box where passenger ripped grab-bar out: +3 Heavily gouged rocker panels: +2 Bloody seats: +2 V-bent front bumper from being pulled out of that REALLY bad one: +2 Scarred sides from those miss-judged rocks: +1 Any small parking lot dent/scratch still identifiable: -1 Other accessories bent, folded, mangled or mutilated: +1, EXCEPT: See above, but said item is owned by your spouse: +2 No scars whatsoever: -3 (Unless Pre-CJ restored, then: +3) New body due to rust only: -5 (unless a rescue, see discussion below) New body due to damage: Previous damage points carry over (see discussion below) Fire Damage (bubbled paint, singed seats, etc): +2 Limbs, Shrubs, etc attached well enough to remain at highway speed: +1/each
Disclaimer
Each Jeeper must interpret the rules as they see fit. Jeepers are strongly encouraged to follow the spirit of the rules at all times. Whenever in doubt, Just Wave!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I never get a wave back. The wranglers refuse to wave to the XJs for the most part...
Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 AM

I usually never get a wave either, but I wave anyway!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

ive only gotten the wave once... it was from another lifted xj and he had the cf sticker...
Old 02-02-2011, 12:15 AM

Year: 1993

people in wranglers dont wave at people in xjs because their jealous.lol
Old 02-02-2011, 02:35 AM

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0 Liter

haha this is soo weird. I noticed when I got my XJ that other people in XJs waved at me soo I started waving at other Cherokees.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

I wave at all Jeeps... but have only usually gotten a wave back from other XJ's... usually only the lifted ones.. I have however gotten a wave back from a JK that I pass almost every day on my way to work... and the chick driving waved back... but had the look of I'm only waving back to be polite... because I have blown you off the other 100 times you have waved to me when you pass me... LOL...
Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

I gave up, and stopped waving altogether.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6

I get waves back from other lifted cherokees, but rarely anyone else. Wronglers just look at me like I'm nuts. And I don't wave at patriots commanders and liberties(unless the liberty is obviously modded, I still sort of respect the liberty)
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6

I also prefer to just abide by the basic wave rules:

Rule 1:
If you are a driver or passenger in a Jeep vehicle, and you come in contact with another occupied Jeep vehicle you should wave. If the other Jeep is not occupied, the wave is optional.

Rule 2:
Be the first to wave. Don't wait, just wave.

Rule 3:
Be forgiving. Sometimes the occupants of the Jeep receiving the wave are not paying attention, distracted, or are paying attention to driving. We all know how you can get lost in the euphoria of driving a Jeep and forget about the outside world.

Rule 4:
Wave vigourously. When cruising at 55mph towards a vehicle going 55mph it is sometimes difficult to see the 'over the steering wheel' wave. Get that hand out and make it seen!

Rule 5:
When you are the recipient of a wave, return the wave.

Rule 6:
Sometimes Jeep owners forget they are not in their Jeep and wave by habit. When occupants of non-Jeep vehicles wave, returning the wave is optional, but usually a good idea.

if everyone lived by the jeep wave rules, we would live in a much nicer world...
Old 02-02-2011, 07:51 AM

Default Jeep Wave

I was out driving around after the last snow storm. I had been having trouble getting the Jeep started. I saw a Jeep JK on the road and attempted to wave. They were on their cell phone and did not acknowledge my Jeep. I usually get waves from most XJ's but never Wranglers. The newer Jeeps only think my XJ is crap anyway. Some Jeeps drivers still look at my Jeep and are probably wondering how it is still on the road. It aint a Pretty Jeep but a couple three thousand put into it still makes it drivable. I still plan on getting a Wrangler in a couple years anyway and keep the XJ. Jeep is in the shop getting Neutral Safety Switch checked and relay checked. May need a new starter. I have put a lot of money into Jeep and not the body. One I get it back I will wave at all XJ's.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

when i'm in my tj, i wave at all other wranglers, lifted or not. i will also wave at all other modded jeeps whether it's mild or wild.

when i'm in my xj, i wave just the same. but i only get return waves from other modded jeeps.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I wave/nod/lift two fingers from the steering wheel to pretty much any Jeep. Rarely get a return, but when I do it's usually from lifted XJ's and Wranglers.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

Originally Posted by Anthonyb
I also prefer to just abide by the basic wave rules:

Rule 1:
If you are a driver or passenger in a Jeep vehicle, and you come in contact with another occupied Jeep vehicle you should wave. If the other Jeep is not occupied, the wave is optional.

Rule 2:
Be the first to wave. Don't wait, just wave.

Rule 3:
Be forgiving. Sometimes the occupants of the Jeep receiving the wave are not paying attention, distracted, or are paying attention to driving. We all know how you can get lost in the euphoria of driving a Jeep and forget about the outside world.

Rule 4:
Wave vigourously. When cruising at 55mph towards a vehicle going 55mph it is sometimes difficult to see the 'over the steering wheel' wave. Get that hand out and make it seen!

Rule 5:
When you are the recipient of a wave, return the wave.

Rule 6:
Sometimes Jeep owners forget they are not in their Jeep and wave by habit. When occupants of non-Jeep vehicles wave, returning the wave is optional, but usually a good idea.

if everyone lived by the jeep wave rules, we would live in a much nicer world...

Good rules to live by. I will wave at all jeeps ( even some non-jeeps 4x4 cause they cant help being in a lesser truck). Some times I'll get a return sometimes not. The wave is our personel "Bump" to the jeep and not really anything towards the person driving. So if I wave at you it's not because I want to be your instant friend it's because I like the "JEEP" your driving.....LOL!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:06 PM

I want one of these for my Cherokee

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: The Jeep Wave