Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

pour gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default pour gas mileage

im new to cf and im not sure if this has been covered before or not, but my question is, im getting like 11 miles to the gallon on my jeep. i have a 6" lift on it with 33in tires. ive been told the o2 sensor could be bad but was also told that if my check engine light isnt on then its ok. ive also been told, sense im running stock gears(3.55), i should go to 4.56s and the motor would turn the wheels easier hence giving me better mileage. but replacing the gears is a pretty penny. im just wondering if 11 miles to the gallon is normal for the set up im running and if so what would be the best fix. it is my daily driver.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:46 PM

Year: 2001

you got a check engine light? if not, you probably have no o2 sensor problems. is you driving in town? I get 13 in town on 235x75 r15 in my 01. if you are worried about the milage, you are gonna need to swap gears more than likely. or start simple. Are you plugs fresh?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:51 AM

Engine: i-6 4.0

i tossed a overhead console into my xj, between 45-60 i get around 18-22mpg, but once i get on the expressway and hit 70, i drop to 12-14.

and i have approx 4.75" lift, and 31's

try seafoaming it. this has helped multiple people, maybe change sparkplugs if you havent, cat could be getting clogged (doubt if no check engine light) those are all fairly simple things to do. you can also attempt to clean the front o2 sensor, the one that controls air/fuel mixture with something like seafoam deep creep or another o2 sensor safe cleaner
Old 04-10-2010, 02:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

im rocking 33s on a 5.5. im getting 15.8 but htat is taking into condsideration that my odometer is off. How are you figuring it? did you remember that your od is something like 23% off?

according to my trip i get 185 miles per 15gallons of gas. not right as far as actual milage but give you an idea
Old 04-10-2010, 04:11 AM

what is seafoaming? and yes my od is off i havnt changed the spedo gear. as of right now i get about 200 miles to every tank of gas and i guess my tank is a 15 gallon. i think the next thing im going to do is change the plugs and see if that helps at all. i am just making sure that this is a normal thing and that nothing is wrong with the motor or nothing is out of the ordinary. if its normal to get the mileage that i get then cool, i just want to make sure that nothing is wrong with the truck. not used to a vehicle getting such low mileage. im new to the jeep scene and so far im loving it. i think i will eventually go to a lower gear ratio but its a tad bit expensive to change them and the way i see it, if im going to have the diffs opened up i mine as well have lockers put it in at the same time, so i want to wait until i get everything else in line before i do it. Any other tips on saving gas mileage? i was wondering about a cold air intake and how much that would increase it or even a "super chip" type thing would be a good investment?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 AM

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...oam-spray.html

Play around on this website, then go to your local retailer, hardware store, gas station, etc and pick some up. If you are close to advance auto parts, they have the can on sale for 6.99, and the spray for 10.99. sure beats a 60-100 fuel injection service at a shop
Old 04-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by They call me cowboy

Play around on this website, then go to your local retailer, hardware store, gas station, etc and pick some up. If you are close to advance auto parts, they have the can on sale for 6.99, and the spray for 10.99. sure beats a 60-100 fuel injection service at a shop
you could try a kn drop in air filter, and a higher -flow muffler I got 22mpg on the freeway doing 75. but like I said, I am running 235's for right now
Old 04-10-2010, 09:27 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by AjdUsmc
im new to cf and im not sure if this has been covered before or not, but my question is, im getting like 11 miles to the gallon on my jeep. i have a 6" lift on it with 33in tires. ive been told the o2 sensor could be bad but was also told that if my check engine light isnt on then its ok. ive also been told, sense im running stock gears(3.55), i should go to 4.56s and the motor would turn the wheels easier hence giving me better mileage. but replacing the gears is a pretty penny. im just wondering if 11 miles to the gallon is normal for the set up im running and if so what would be the best fix. it is my daily driver.
Welcome to CF AjdUsmc from Tj. Its a "jeep" and one of the characteristics of jeeps is to get "Crappy" gas mileage...lol. I get around 12mpg with 31's and only got 15mpg with factory tires and my jeep runs great. Start with a complete tune-up, sea-foam it , new Air filter and clean the Throttle body out. How does it idle?...Tj
Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
Welcome to CF AjdUsmc from Tj. Its a "jeep" and one of the characteristics of jeeps is to get "Crappy" gas mileage...lol. I get around 12mpg with 31's and only got 15mpg with factory tires and my jeep runs great. Start with a complete tune-up, sea-foam it , new Air filter and clean the Throttle body out. How does it idle?...Tj
it idles fine probably at about 800rpm. thats mainly what i wanted to know, thats its normal for me to be getting this kind of gas mileage.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by They call me cowboy

thanks for the heads up on this stuff. im going to go get some today and try it out.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

your getting like 17 if your trip reads 200 on 15gallon. pretty good for rocking 33s
Old 04-10-2010, 03:42 PM

yea, cross referance some NGK plugs with your year, it seems NGK and champion are what most people with cherokees run. stay away from those e3 plugs.

seafoam is easy enough to use, like the other person said, check the website out. if you pour it into the TB, your gona need someone to rev the engine up to around 2k and pour a small amount in at a time.

now that i think of it, before you seafoam it, take the TB out, just disconnect the 3 cables, 3 sensor wires, and the 4 bolts. spray it down with carb cleaner or similar. theres usually a whole lot of gunk on the blade and the walls of it. this will help ilde a bit, smooth acceleration, and just help a bit over all. THEN seafoam it
Old 04-10-2010, 04:21 PM

Year: 1995

It's only about $9 a can too which is great. 1/3 into the throttle body and another 1/3 into the tank at fill up. I just recently did my XJ and my wife's WJ. I noticed the biggest difference to the WJ. I also had to replace the throttle position sensor on the WJ which also helped a bunch as far as MPG goes.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:46 PM

well i tried out the seafoam today and i replaced the plugs, it seems to be running a little bit smoother, but then again it could just be the placeabo affect. put a full tank of gas in it and i will have to see how many miles i get out of it. thanks alot to everyone who helped me out!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:20 PM

good luck hopefully it helps you out a bit

Quick Reply: pour gas mileage