Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Popping noise from rear end (video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default Popping noise from rear end (video)

Hello,
I have a popping noise coming from my rear end. It happens while going over washboard on dirt roads. It sounds like it's coming from out towards the tire. I thought it was the shock but I took that off and it still does it. It has 4.5" rough country leafs. I'm pretty determined it's either the leafs or maybe a wheel bearing going out? Check out the video. You can hear it best after about 15 seconds. Any of you guys recognize this sound? Thanks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBWZtlBzZ_M
Old 05-14-2016, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tone21
Hello,
I have a popping noise coming from my rear end. It happens while going over washboard on dirt roads. It sounds like it's coming from out towards the tire. I thought it was the shock but I took that off and it still does it. It has 4.5" rough country leafs. I'm pretty determined it's either the leafs or maybe a wheel bearing going out? Check out the video. You can hear it best after about 15 seconds. Any of you guys recognize this sound? Thanks

Anybody??
Old 05-14-2016, 01:51 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L Remann'd

I dont recognize the noise. But you said its only on dirt roads? Odd, if it were the leafs or wheel bearing, I think you'd hear it all the time. With that being said, I would check the following:

-Play in ujoints rear DS
-Play in Rear diff yoke
-Dry slip yoke

I had a weird popping noise that ended up being the u Bolts to the leaf springs at one time. It only happened when I would take off from a stop.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help, someone will chime in I'm sure and offer better suggestions
Old 05-14-2016, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle Morrison
I dont recognize the noise. But you said its only on dirt roads? Odd, if it were the leafs or wheel bearing, I think you'd hear it all the time. With that being said, I would check the following:

-Play in ujoints rear DS
-Play in Rear diff yoke
-Dry slip yoke

I had a weird popping noise that ended up being the u Bolts to the leaf springs at one time. It only happened when I would take off from a stop.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help, someone will chime in I'm sure and offer better suggestions
Thanks for the reply it sounds like it's coming from out by the tire area not the driveshaft. I think it does do it on pavement like on takeoff a but that's it. It does it on dirt roads the worst when there are little chatter bumps I'm going over. What was the issue you had with your leaf u-bolts? Just not tight enough? I tightened the crap out of mine and the noise is still there. Leafs are only a year old. However I never replaced that rear shackle. Which is looking rusty and old.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tone21
Hello,

FYI it was the leaf spring bushing . It was half way out of the leaf spring which was forcing the leaf spring to rub on the mount creating a metal to metal popping noise over every bump. Nice rough country (or maybe the installer ). Now I just have 3 more different chattering and popping noises up front I need to find...