Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Popping and grinding when turning RIGHT ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Popping and grinding when turning RIGHT ONLY

Anyone have this before, or have any idea what it could be?
before i list the details, here are the parts I've already thrown money at and they are no older than a month old

Ball joints on knuckle (driver side)
U-joints to wheel (both sides)
new brake rotors and pads (both sides)
new wheel bearing (driver side)

alright, now for the details...
I'm getting a very bad grinding with pops, like metal on metal, but kind of muffled to a point, coming from my driver side wheel when I only turn right. Now this sound happens continuously, so every revolution of the wheel, i hear a pop and a grind. Left is perfectly fine though.

It doesn't always happen for some strange reason, but about 98% of the time it does. The most it happens is on off ramps on the freeway, going a decent speed and turning and when you can feel the body roll just start to take effect. No sound at any speed going straight or turning left, though on rough Michigan roads, it does feel loose and about ready to fall off. On the freeway also, I get this low rumble going from about high 60's to low 80's and is perfectly silent and smooth out of that range.

Now, I did buy one of those cheap one year warranty bearings, and seemed to go away after I took it into the shop to get the U-joints put in, then it returned, then it went away after I put the bearing in, then it came back once more maybe 2 days after. Could it just be a faulty part? or something is being not put on right that it keeps going away after install, then comes back a day later?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. This isn't a trail truck, this is my daily driver and I drive 50 miles to and from work so it's important that I keep this running in tip top shape. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

Brake caliper dust shield possibly?

It could I suppose be the wheel bearing even if it's new - you replaced the entire wheel hub assembly, right?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stabsthedrama
Brake caliper dust shield possibly?

It could I suppose be the wheel bearing even if it's new - you replaced the entire wheel hub assembly, right?
I looked at the dust shield and had some clearance, maybe a mm or two, but doesn't hurt to peel it back a little more i guess. Yes, I replaced the entire hub assembly. Never thought a wheel bearing would crap out on me that quickly, but anything is possible with a 2 ton vehicle and a faulty part on Michigan roads.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Seasoned Member

What brand? At least around me the only option I could even find was Timken, which is AFAIK the industry standard replacement on these, and should be totally fine.

Really any wheel bearing should be fine though....I can't see that type of part giving out in the same way, there's gotta be something else up for it to happen with both in the same way, but anything's possible.

Was it ever in any accidents/bad potholes before it started happening? If something is just slightly out of the place that it's supposed to be, it needs to be detected because no amount of parts will fixed something that is bent/mis-aligned.

I'm sure other people will have more ideas on here.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Popping/grinding/clicking is usually a bearing. U-joint or wheel bearing most likely.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:20 AM

What brand? At least around me the only option I could even find was Timken, which is AFAIK the industry standard replacement on these, and should be totally fine.

Really any wheel bearing should be fine though....I can't see that type of part giving out in the same way, there's gotta be something else up for it to happen with both in the same way, but anything's possible.

Was it ever in any accidents/bad potholes before it started happening? If something is just slightly out of the place that it's supposed to be, it needs to be detected because no amount of parts will fixed something that is bent/mis-aligned.

I'm sure other people will have more ideas on here.
It was the Advance Auto Parts Driveworks brand. Thats why I'm here, to see if it could be anything else thats hiding in the dark. Could it be a track bar issue? I know the side that the ball joint is on is pretty loose, or atleast the rubber boot or bushing isn't touching the bracket above. I did have the dreaded death wobble a few years back, but got an alignment and new tires and its gone. bad potholes everywhere, no matter what road you go on around my area, but nothing really too bad. No accidents other than being knocked on the passenger side front tire and rear ended while it was parked outside my house. Been about a year since my last alignment though and the steering is alittle loose, I got about 10 degrees of play in the steering and the pitmann arm is clunky when I bang on it. Sorry if I'm feeding too much information, but just trying to eliminate anything that it might be. I appreciate your help and do hope that someone somewhere out there had this fixed
Old 12-15-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by bigvig
Popping/grinding/clicking is usually a bearing. U-joint or wheel bearing most likely.
even if I just had those replaced? faulty part possibly?
Old 12-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Dragonzfire
Sorry if I'm feeding too much information, but just trying to eliminate anything that it might be. I appreciate your help and do hope that someone somewhere out there had this fixed
Don't ever be sorry for that lol.

Driveworks....meh....somewhat concerning but at the same time it's just a wheel bearing. Pretty simple design/part.

I was wondering if it could possibly be your tie rods or track bar - I would check for the obvious such as a wallowed out hole in your track bar axle connection - also get a helper to steer back and forth while you check the steering components. You could do this on pavement, but in your case I'd do it with the front jacked up so that the helper could try really steering hard to the max so you can really get a good look and see if tie rods or the track bar is clunking.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:33 AM

Don't ever be sorry for that lol.

Driveworks....meh....somewhat concerning but at the same time it's just a wheel bearing. Pretty simple design/part.

I was wondering if it could possibly be your tie rods or track bar - I would check for the obvious such as a wallowed out hole in your track bar axle connection - also get a helper to steer back and forth while you check the steering components. You could do this on pavement, but in your case I'd do it with the front jacked up so that the helper could try really steering hard to the max so you can really get a good look and see if tie rods or the track bar is clunking.
lol, just seemed like I was throwing up random issues, but alright thanks!

and right, its really simple, but material quality could be an issue. Almost went with Moog, but thought I fixed it, returned it, then the noise came back. Seems to to away after I've jacked it up and took everything apart, put it together and drove on it.

I inspected it, no obvious holes and the bushing on the other end seemed to be centered, but I'll see if I can do that and have someone turn the wheel. would a track bar or tie rod be clunking every time the wheel went round though? it seems to happen with every rotation of the wheel.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Track bar could clunk a LITTLE possibly, but you would see it rather easily when you get under there, and it's a long shot...

Tie rods, if really worn out could possibly clunk a little when steering is totally maxed...but again, long shot.

I'd hate to think that it's the wheel bearing again/already, but it's definitely a possibility.

You said Ujoints were done - did you go and check to make sure the C-clips stayed on? I'm speaking from experience here - I forgot to chase down the c clips with a drift when I did mine, and had one fall off the driver's side - started clicking bad again a few days later. Luckily I realized it and the C clip was still near the boot so I just slid it back up and punched it in with a drift real good.

Also while you're down there - grab the axle end right before the U joint and try to see if you can shake it down in any direction. Shouldn't have any play.

Also the Ball joints on that side would be concerning to me.

Last edited by Stabsthedrama; 12-15-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:00 AM

Track bar could clunk a LITTLE possibly, but you would see it rather easily when you get under there, and it's a long shot...

Tie rods, if really worn out could possibly clunk a little when steering is totally maxed...but again, long shot.

I'd hate to think that it's the wheel bearing again/already, but it's definitely a possibility.

You said Ujoints were done - did you go and check to make sure the C-clips stayed on? I'm speaking from experience here - I forgot to chase down the c clips with a drift when I did mine, and had one fall off the driver's side - started clicking bad again a few days later. Luckily I realized it and the C clip was still near the boot so I just slid it back up and punched it in with a drift real good.

Also while you're down there - grab the axle end right before the U joint and try to see if you can shake it down in any direction. Shouldn't have any play.
I'll definitely check that! thank you! you say chase it with a drift, do you mean to knock it into the groove that keeps it in? I had a shop do those, so I don't know apart from putting them in, what they did, but I'll be sure to give that a look and make sure that they are in nice and tight. And I'll try shaking the axle shaft too, seems it could be a possibility that it could be the one binding or getting loose. Thanks for your help
Old 12-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Ya you'll see the C-clips on there, but they're gonna be tight like RIGHT up against the yoke on the outer edge of the u joint caps if that makes sense. You can even feel them with your finger, and it should be obvious if one came out (if it did it will most likely allow the u joint to freely move up and down if the cap wiggled out a bit, since the cap is allowed to push out in that direction, but will hopefully not be able to push itself completely back out of the yoke)

And ya by chasing it I mean just getting the c clip on there (with finger or plyers) and then just tapping it on harder with a screwdriver or chisel/drift.

Can't really think of too much else without seeing it myself =/

Other people may have more suggestions.

Last edited by Stabsthedrama; 12-15-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:38 AM

Ya you'll see the C-clips on there, but they're gonna be tight like RIGHT up against the yoke on the outer edge of the u joint caps if that makes sense. You can even feel them with your finger, and it should be obvious if one came out (if it did it will most likely allow the u joint to freely move up and down if the cap wiggled out a bit, since the cap is allowed to push out in that direction, but will hopefully not be able to push itself completely back out of the yoke)

And ya by chasing it I mean just getting the c clip on there (with finger or plyers) and then just tapping it on harder with a screwdriver or chisel/drift.

Can't really think of too much else without seeing it myself =/

Other people may have more suggestions.
yeah! I gotcha, I'll look when I get home. I just happened to check my dust cover for my brake, I had a good 5+mm on the bottom, then only MAYBE 1mm of clearance at the top. MAYBE that is it afterall? I'll bend it back and see. Just hoping that doesn't mean my wheel IS loose, but it's just the dust cover being crooked XD we'll find out later tonight I guess. the U-joints also have caps on the end caps, is that normal? are the C-clips under there? I can see if I can post a picture of them soon and a picture of that darn cover
Old 12-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Seasoned Member

http://www.myjeepxj.com/uploads/imag...8Custom%29.jpg

Best image I could find in a hurry - the c clips will rest right up against the yoke right above where the grey part of the grease boot is, which is above the red part of the grease boot.
They would be slightly out of view in this pic.

These seem to be some custom nonsense grease boots.

I'm thinking it's possible that something is hitting something because the wheel is able to move back and forth, so maybe the ball joints are allowing for more travel on that side and letting it hit the dust shield?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:37 PM

http://www.myjeepxj.com/uploads/imag...8Custom%29.jpg

Best image I could find in a hurry - the c clips will rest right up against the yoke right above where the grey part of the grease boot is, which is above the red part of the grease boot.
They would be slightly out of view in this pic.

These seem to be some custom nonsense grease boots.

I'm thinking it's possible that something is hitting something because the wheel is able to move back and forth, so maybe the ball joints are allowing for more travel on that side and letting it hit the dust shield?
ah alrighty! I know what your talking about now. I'll check those tonight then.
and good possibility. Sounds like someone with a deep voice trying to clear their throat is the best way I could put it. I will check before leaving work if it is bumping something. Seems to be only when the body starts to roll too and happens on varying degrees, such as it'll start when I go 45 on an exit ramp, then next time it'll happen at 30 or 35, or when your just normally turning out at an intersection, or even taking a normal turn on a road like now. If that helps... I'll try bending back that plate and checking if its hitting anything. Thank you so much for all the help you've provided so far

Quick Reply: Popping and grinding when turning RIGHT ONLY