Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pop/clunk noise during turns and braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Pop/clunk noise during turns and braking

Hi all,
I have a 99 Cherokee and I've been hearing some strange noises from the front end since I bought it. There is a distinct pop/clunk noise every time I make a sharp turn at slow speeds, and occasionally when I come to a stop while going straight.
My dad mentioned that it steered like a car with a disconnected sway bar, but when I checked underneath there were no signs of wear on the end links. Th only thing I noticed was some cracking on the bushings.
I took it to a mechanic, but they were unable to reproduce the sound when they had the car up on the lift. They thought that the sway bar end links and bushings needed to be replaced, but they quoted me pretty high so I figured I would just do it myself.
A new end link kit and set of bushings are coming in the mail soon, but I though that I would ask to see if there are any other parts that could be making the noise.
It would also be great if anyone could advise me on tools that I might need to replace everything.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-29-2017, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

Hub bearings, ball joints and axle u-joints would be high on my list. Could be anything really. Sticking it on a lift takes all the weight off the suspension. Sometimes you can figure things out doing that, sometimes you cant. The shop wouldve had a better idea had they road tested it. If i were them, i wouldve asked your permission to do just that. I have no clue how thorough their checks were so i suggest checking things out for yourself.

Use wheel chocks at the rear and/or set the parking brake (just to be safe) and have your dad turn the wheel while you watch for anything out of the ordinary underneath, like a worn trackbar as that (among other things) can result in Death Wobble. Everything is suspect.

Stick it on jackstands and check the balljoints. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 and try rocking the tire. It shouldnt move. Grabbing the tire at 3 and 9 checks the tierods. Give the wheels a spin and listen for popping or anything else. If there are grease fittings anywhere, grease them and see if that helps.

Also, do you hear it while turning with the brakes applied? Driving, of course. Check that, too.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 08-29-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I took a look under the car while the wheel was turned and I didn't notice any play in the track bar (or in any of the other parts, for that matter).
I did notice that the sway bar bushings are almost completely worn through, nearly to the point of metal on metal. I will definitely be replacing those.
If fixing the sway bar does not stop the noise, I will check the ball joints and tie rod. Your information on diagnosing which could be causing the problem was very helpful.
Fingers crossed that the sway bar repair does the trick!
Old 08-30-2017, 11:53 AM

I had a very similar issue...loud popping noise when turning at slow speeds or hitting bumps.

I did however notice significant movement on my track bar. My wheel bearings were shot also.

Put in an aftermarket adjustable track bar and new bearings...the problem is completely gone.

Last edited by x46018; 08-30-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Engine: 4.0l

Be aware if it is the track bar and its been moving it may have reamed out the hole where the bolt goes in.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:06 PM

The track bar was actually the first thing that I checked. There was no shifting at all when the wheels turned and no shiny spot where it could have rubbed the rust off.
At the moment I am thinking it is either the sway bar and end links, or the ball joints.

Somewhat unrelated, but what tools should I buy so that I am ready for general repairs? My tools are mostly for electrical repairs, so it would be nice to know which socket sets/ratchets/etc. would be recommended.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:27 PM

Hello again,
I hate to bump threads, but it would be really helpful if someone could give me a bit of advice on the tools that I would need for this repair.
The parts arrived a couple of days ago, and I am hoping that I can get it done soon.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:18 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Tighten the track bar bracket to frame bolts before doing anything else. They will appear tight but probably aren't.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Originally Posted by bread_bird
Hello again,
I hate to bump threads, but it would be really helpful if someone could give me a bit of advice on the tools that I would need for this repair.
The parts arrived a couple of days ago, and I am hoping that I can get it done soon.
Which parts are you replacing?

Here is a video for the sway bar;

If you are just doing the top of the links bushing, you don't have to take off the wheels. Just undo the top nuts on both sides, swing the bar up and replace those rubbers.

Ball joints are much more involved and not worth explaining if you are not doing them. Plus, there are countless videos and threads explaining how to do them.

Coincidentally, my XJ is also making similar noise and I am trying to find out why.

Good luck.

Last edited by OldTires; 09-17-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:23 PM

I just installed both the sway bar bushings and the end links. I didn't end up needing to jack up the car, but that's not to say it wouldn't have been easier.
I needed to buy an extendable socket with a pivot head and some deep-socket metric fittings.
Unfortunately, neither replacement really fixed the issue. I think I will be replacing the ball joints next.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

mine is making a similar noise. only when turning or braking. give the front axle control arm bushings a good look. the upper control arm, axle side bushing is gone on mine. i can move it around with a small pry bar, i'm hoping that's the issue. ive had the new bushings in the freezer for a week haha.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:12 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Originally Posted by bread_bird
I just installed both the sway bar bushings and the end links. I didn't end up needing to jack up the car, but that's not to say it wouldn't have been easier.
I needed to buy an extendable socket with a pivot head and some deep-socket metric fittings.
Unfortunately, neither replacement really fixed the issue. I think I will be replacing the ball joints next.
You should test the ball joints first, before changing them. So you are not just throwing parts at the problem.

Check your engine mounts, transmission mount too. Also the exhaust system to make sure nothing is loose, dangling.

Last edited by OldTires; 09-19-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:23 PM

Hey guys!!!

How about tightening the track bar bracket to frame bolts?????????????????????
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Hey guys!!!

How about tightening the track bar bracket to frame bolts?????????????????????
if i get them much tighter they will probably break.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by s346k
if i get them much tighter they will probably break.
I would figure you did that already....

I'm thinking other folks.