Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pop and Bang while steering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Pop and Bang while steering?

well ive checked all sorts of stuff. Shocks pitman arm sway bar arms. I cant figure it out. list ANY ideas idc if i already said i checked it. The problem is when i do usually a sharp or hard turn i hear a loud bang i guess you would call it like something in the steering binding. sway bars looked fine. 1993 jeep cherokee 6cyln *New motor put in recently* i have the stock "suspension skid plate" as well any other questions to help lead to my answer please feel free to ask and ill give you the best of knowledge i have on it.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 PM

Year: 1988

i have the same problem. i have checked everything and cant figure it out. i also have a DW at about 60 when i hit a bump.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 PM

Default Steering prob,

You said "when steering hard" It sounds like you maybe hitting your steering stops. They are there to limit steering other wise things would start getting torn up (tire into wheel well or frame, steering gear over travel, stabilizer shock ruined) If you are all the way over this can make noise. If on uneven ground this can be quite loud.
Find your steering stops and coat them with grease or paint then take the truck out and get it to make the noise. then check the stops if the paint is worn off. you will know that is what it is. If you no you are just hitting the stops the noise won't bother as much.
Solutions: Don't try to adjust the stops you can damage your steering system. Just back off a little to remove contact or lube the stops to reduce the sounds.
Hope this helps
Old 07-01-2010, 08:09 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I had a similar issue develop on my 2wd WJ after I had to drop the oil pan to change the rear main seal. Turned out that the bolt on the axle locator arm that I had to drop to clear the pan had loosened just enough that it would pop back and forth in it's mount about 1/16" while being steered. I tightened it up and the noise went away.

I'd double check every suspension fastener that might have been tweaked during the motor swap.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Does it do it while you arent moving(Dry steer?) if so have a buddy keep an eye out down there. I have a similar issue, its actually the inner workings of my steering box.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

Had the same problem DW and popping ended up being loose/bent tie rod also check your front u-joints and your drag link cause alot of times getting pulled out or even getting put on a tow truck they bend the drag link bar its in a weird position.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

simple things first. make sure you're not in 4wd.
start by checking your coil springs to be sure they are seated in the coil buckets properly.
as mentioned, check to see if anything is coming into contact/binding while steering.
check your front axle shaft u-joints. they could be seizing up.
check your track bar mounts. both axle bolt and frame bracket. check the 3 frame bracket bolts too.
then move on to ball joints, control arm bushings/bolt torque.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Year: 1997

I was having the same problem. Turned out to be the hole in the track bar bracket on the axle end had ovaled out and my track bar was popping side to side. Like mentioned above have somebody turn side to side while you watch. Check all the joints but my guess would be the axle track bar mount.