Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PO171 code from CEL. Now what?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default PO171 code from CEL. Now what?!

Got my cel checked today and the code po171 came up. That was the inly code. Truck is running like ****. Has a knocking sound and is going thru gas like its going outta style. As im stopped the rpm goes up and down. About a half a rpm also smells really bad. Did a full tune up 2 days ago and reset the computer after the tuneup was done. Teuck ran great for a day nd then went to crap on day 2. What should i do.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM

Year: 1999

O2 sensor shows you're running lean. A few things to check:
Clean your MAF sensor
Check for vacuum / CCV line leaks
Check exhaust manifold for leaks
Check plugs/wires/cap/rotor)
Check fuel filter
Check flow from fuel injectors
Finally, it could be that your O2 sensor has failed. Checking stuff is free though, so don't throw parts at it until you've ruled out the other stuff.

Last edited by antipode; 01-29-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998redxj
Got my cel checked today and the code po171 came up. That was the inly code. Truck is running like ****. Has a knocking sound and is going thru gas like its going outta style. As im stopped the rpm goes up and down. About a half a rpm also smells really bad. Did a full tune up 2 days ago and reset the computer after the tuneup was done. Teuck ran great for a day nd then went to crap on day 2. What should i do.
Here's P0171:

P0171-1/1 FUEL SYSTEM LEAN

Possible Causes:

RESTRICTED FUEL SUPPLY LINE
FUEL PUMP INLET STRAINER PLUGGED
FUEL PUMP MODULE
O2 SENSOR
O2 SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
O2 SENSOR HEATER OPERATION
TPS VOLTAGE GREATER THAN 0.92 VOLTS WITH THROTTLE CLOSED
TP SENSOR SWEEP
MAP SENSOR OPERATION
ECT SENSOR OPERATION
ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM
FUEL FILTER/PRESSURE REGULATOR (HIGH)
PCM

The PCM may be see a lean condition, as reported by the Oxgen Sensor(s) and compensating for the lean condition and causing a rich condition, which may be why you are seeing poor gas mileage and a smelly exhaust.

Was it running okay before you did a tune up?

First check the Oxygen Heaters fuse in the power distribution center (shown in the attached photo).

Name:  1997-1999XJPDCannotated.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  111.1 KB

Then (money back) rent a fuel pressure test set from an auto parts store like O'reilly or Advance auto parts, and check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail. You should see 49.2 psi +/- 5 psi while the engine is running at idle, and as the throttle is advanced to about 1,200 RPM. If the fuel pressure is low, remove the 15 amp fuel pump fuse (shown in the pic) and replace it with a 10 amp mini fuse, then operate the pump again andsee if the fuse blows. If it does the pump is pulling too many amps (10 amps is max). Reinstall the 15 amp fuse. If your fuel pressure is too high it is a faulty pump regulator and the PCM is trying to pull fuel off causing the P0171 lean DTC.

Visually inspect the upstream oxygen sensor wiring where it passes over the intake manifold for chafing (common fault).

Is your engine oily/dirty near the upstream oxygen sensor? Are you using NTK or Bosch oxygen sensors? How old are the sensors? If you are using NTK sensors, inspect the ambient air vents in the body of the sensor for contamination. If they are plugged, or you have a cracked exhaust manifold in that area [knocking sound?], it may cause a rich or lean signal to the PCM, depending on the type of contamination. See attached pic.

Name:  NTKUpstreamO2Sairvents_zps1dcc08b4.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  120.4 KB

Check your exhaust manifold for cracks.

If you have over 100K miles of the oxygen sensors you should replace them (NTK is the OEM sensors).

Inspect all wiring and connectors to your sensors and distributor for collateral damaged caused during the tune up.

Check these few things and get back. You may need to check your throttle position sensor and other sensors.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen

Here's P0171:

P0171-1/1 FUEL SYSTEM LEAN

Possible Causes:

RESTRICTED FUEL SUPPLY LINE
FUEL PUMP INLET STRAINER PLUGGED
FUEL PUMP MODULE
O2 SENSOR
O2 SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
O2 SENSOR HEATER OPERATION
TPS VOLTAGE GREATER THAN 0.92 VOLTS WITH THROTTLE CLOSED
TP SENSOR SWEEP
MAP SENSOR OPERATION
ECT SENSOR OPERATION
ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM
FUEL FILTER/PRESSURE REGULATOR (HIGH)
PCM

The PCM may be see a lean condition, as reported by the Oxgen Sensor(s) and compensating for the lean condition and causing a rich condition, which may be why you are seeing poor gas mileage and a smelly exhaust.

Was it running okay before you did a tune up?

First check the Oxygen Heaters fuse in the power distribution center (shown in the attached photo).

Then (money back) rent a fuel pressure test set from an auto parts store like O'reilly or Advance auto parts, and check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail. You should see 49.2 psi +/- 5 psi while the engine is running at idle, and as the throttle is advanced to about 1,200 RPM. If the fuel pressure is low, remove the 15 amp fuel pump fuse (shown in the pic) and replace it with a 10 amp mini fuse, then operate the pump again andsee if the fuse blows. If it does the pump is pulling too many amps (10 amps is max). Reinstall the 15 amp fuse. If your fuel pressure is too high it is a faulty pump regulator and the PCM is trying to pull fuel off causing the P0171 lean DTC.

Visually inspect the upstream oxygen sensor wiring where it passes over the intake manifold for chafing (common fault).

Is your engine oily/dirty near the upstream oxygen sensor? Are you using NTK or Bosch oxygen sensors? How old are the sensors? If you are using NTK sensors, inspect the ambient air vents in the body of the sensor for contamination. If they are plugged, or you have a cracked exhaust manifold in that area [knocking sound?], it may cause a rich or lean signal to the PCM, depending on the type of contamination. See attached pic.

Check your exhaust manifold for cracks.

If you have over 100K miles of the oxygen sensors you should replace them (NTK is the OEM sensors).

Inspect all wiring and connectors to your sensors and distributor for collateral damaged caused during the tune up.

Check these few things and get back. You may need to check your throttle position sensor and other sensors.
I fixed te knockng noise today. It was actually te flexplate. Was very loose. I fixed that issue now no more knocking sounds. Idk what kind of sensors are in the truck now. I just bought it a few weeks ago. The truck was running pretty good the week i got it and then after driving for a week it started to run like crap. The bottom of the motor near the starter is full of thick grease/ oil. The o2 sensor is visible but is kind or rusty and has grease/oil on the wires. I will try andchexk the fuses.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM

What o2 sensor should i replace? Upstream or down? Or both? I dont kno lol i really think its my o2 sensor. Everything else seems to be good. Cleaned the throttle body checked all fuses and grounds did a full mopar tune up. Like its trying to choke itself out when i go to stop at a stopsighn or light. Seems to be like the fuel ration is off cuz its running so damn rich
Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 AM

I would like to buy what i have to get today.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 AM
CF Veteran

What o2 sensor should i replace? Upstream or down? Or both? I dont kno lol i really think its my o2 sensor. Everything else seems to be good. Cleaned the throttle body checked all fuses and grounds did a full mopar tune up. Like its trying to choke itself out when i go to stop at a stopsighn or light. Seems to be like the fuel ration is off cuz its running so damn rich
I would suggest both O2S's if you can afford it, otherwise change the upstream first. I also suggest using NTK oxygen sensors. They are the OEM sensors.

NTK Upstream O2S part number 23151, downstream 23099.

They are available from O'Reilly Auto Parts. if you need them soon (probably next day), otherwise you can get them on-line from Rockauto.

I hope this isn't your daily driver Jeep because to get the old O2S's out you may have to let it sit inorder to soak them with penetrating oil for a day or so to assist in getting them out. You can borrow a O2S wrench kit from O'Reilly as well.

Last edited by CCKen; 01-30-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 AM

Yes it is my daily lmao but ive been using another car to get around till i get this fixed lol. So im prolly gonna order them both today and as im waiting for them to get in ill work on getting the old ones out so i can pop the new ones in as soon as they get here. Hope this solves the problem. I also just realized i have a hole in my muffler about the size of a quarter. Can that be making it run bad also?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Yes it is my daily lmao but ive been using another car to get around till i get this fixed lol. So im prolly gonna order them both today and as im waiting for them to get in ill work on getting the old ones out so i can pop the new ones in as soon as they get here. Hope this solves the problem. I also just realized i have a hole in my muffler about the size of a quarter. Can that be making it run bad also?
A hole in your muffler shouldn't make it run bad but fumes will

Check the downstream O2S wiring while you're under there. Check for chafed wires and security of the wire harness. The harness connector should be secured in a dog house like in this pic. There have been lots of reports of the harness getting torn up by the drive shaft (still haven't figured that one out).

Name:  DownstreamO2SBracket56041000.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  149.1 KB
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 AM

The wires are all good. Not scratched or torn up. There heat wrapped. But i do not have tht dog house peice. The downstream o2 is rusted up and the other one by tailpipe loos new. No rust or nething. Looks like maybe 5 months old
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM

I just think its odd that the truck runs like crap and then i reset the computer buy disconnecting tye battery for a bit and after i hook it bak up and start it up it runs good again.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Does the new looking O2S look like the one in post #3. That's a NTK O2S.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Does the new looking O2S look like the one in post #3. That's a NTK O2S.
Yes but has no air vents. So i guess its not the oem one. Im gonna just order both up and down streams.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Yes but has no air vents. So i guess its not the oem one. Im gonna just order both up and down streams.
It's more than likely a Bosch O2S. The Bosch O2S's have given some XJ owners problems, others have had no problems with these O2S's. I would get that thing out of there and start withnew NTK sensors, like you planned.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 PM

New o2sensors are ordered. Will be here in 2 days. Till then im gonna work on getting em out and breaking them free.

Quick Reply: PO171 code from CEL. Now what?!