Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PO suck wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994 and 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default PO suck wiring

Trying to simply install a new cigarette lighter outlet and a clock but have run into wiring from PO.

Back history:
OK, PO wired the A/C/heat fan motor totally separate from the ignition. Ignition can be off but the fan will run the battery out unless you physically shut the fan off. I have no idea what he did with that wiring and it is on my fix list but for now I am just remembering to turn the fan off when I get out. I am sure the issue is connected to the wiring issues below.

Took dash bezel off to replace the two pieces mentioned above and ran into this wiring. Cig outlet was disconnected but wiring was used to connect power to the radio. I have no idea what the light blue wire is but it appears to be somehow tied into the radio.

The power source to the lighter outlet is not connected, instead the light blue wire is connected to the center post on the rear of the lighter socket.

When this rubber connection is not plugged in, no radio [I should say there are no keys in the ignition and radio will not come on when XJ is turned off.]

When the rubber cigarette power source is connected, radio comes on [again no keys in ignition]. I do not want the radio to be able to have power when the truck ignition is off].

detach lead and radio goes off

large blue wire which I haven't traced down yet

large red wire cutting behind where the clock sits. I do want to connect the clock but believe I need to remove the instrument cluster to look behind for wiring connection. I DO KNOW there is a How-To thread on that.

Questions are if the red wire is normally there?
Same about light blue wire?
What wire should actually be attached to the lighter outlet?
The outlet that came with the XJ has a light which you can see in the last pic right next to the black plastic mounting screw. Three wires come down to the lighter outlet area. Orange with black stripe, purple with white strip and black.
The way the PO has it wired he took the connector from the orange wired and taped/spliced a small section of black wire and ran it to the cig lighter outlet light as you can see in the very first picture. The black wire that comes out of the dash with the purple and orange wires connects as a ground to the side of the cig outlet.

I suck at wiring and will attempt to fix things but am looking for a direction to go in before undoing whatever was left by the douche PO. I am not overly concerned in having a radio...it's nice but it is a POS.....just can't afford to upgrade that until I get other stuff done.

Thanks, sorry for the long read, just trying to give all the info I have instead of hurrying to put up an incomplete post for help.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

This is just a guess, but I think the purple wire with the rubber boot is the power wire for the lighter and should be connected to the threaded stud in the center of the lighter plug. I think the light blue is feeding the power side of the radio. That would mean the radio gets power when the purple wire is hooked to the post on the socket. I think you could remove the blue wire from the lighter and hook it to the ignition side of the fuse box and the radio would work when the ignition is on. The heater fan is another story. You need to get in there with a test light and see what's what.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994 and 1996

Originally Posted by wildbill1
.....I think the purple wire with the rubber boot is the power wire for the lighter and should be connected to the threaded stud in the center of the lighter plug.That is correct but when it gets connected [and the blue wire is still connected] the radio will come on, even when the car is not running and there is no key in the ignition. I think the light blue is feeding the power side of the radio. This is my assumption too.That would mean the radio gets power when the purple wire is hooked to the post on the socket. I think you could remove the blue wire from the lighter and hook it to the ignition side of the fuse box and the radio would work when the ignition is on. The heater fan is another story. You need to get in there with a test light and see what's what.

Any idea if the red wire is normally there or is this another thing the PO did?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I don't know if the red wire is stock or not, but I doubt it seeing how it's routed through a hole in the plastic dash assembly. That doesn't look like a factory routing method. It's also pretty heavy guage. I think it's an add-on. You have some tracing and testing to do. Just because it isn't factory though doesn't mean it should be changed.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

what he did was feed sig lighter constant 12 volt so when you plug the correct wire to it your back feeding that circut that why radio comes on