Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Plug wires and things...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '92
Model: Cherokee
Default Plug wires and things...

This isn't a Jeep-specific question, but... I've been putting this off for a little while and I'm starting to get worried about my engine.

When I last changed my spark plugs, I yanked one of the plug wires off the wrong way and the bit of the wire that connects to the spark plug's terminal came out. I had to cut open the boot on the plug wire and clamp the wire back on. Fast forward to present-day... My engine skips, usually around driving speed(whatever that is, my speedometer's broke). When it does this, my tachometer's reading about 1300-1600 RPMs, usually around 1500. When I get the RPMs up past 1600, it stops. I'm about %70 sure that it's the plug wire, but I really don't have the money to buy a set if I don't have to. What can I do to diagnose my problem?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Engine: 4.0

You aren;t going to like this answer but.....
reach down and grab the wire at the plug and rev it up and see if it shocks you.
Another option in a dark shop or at night power brake it to put a load on the engine and look for fire arcing from the plug wire in question.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Check spark of each wire by grounding it. Pull one plug at a time, start it up, see if it changes. If not, then you know there is a problem? Plugs gapped correctly? Warranty on your wires?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Caish
You aren;t going to like this answer but.....
reach down and grab the wire at the plug and rev it up and see if it shocks you.
Seriously? How many amps would that be? I'm not ready for my heart to stop yet. I might try to have a look at it in the dark, though.

Originally Posted by Metmknice
Check spark of each wire by grounding it. Pull one plug at a time, start it up, see if it changes. If not, then you know there is a problem? Plugs gapped correctly? Warranty on your wires?
I think I like this method a little better.

Plugs gapped correctly? Warranty on your wires?
Yes, no.

EDIT Just throwing this out there, but I'm not absolutely positive that it's the plug wires messing up. What else could be doing it?

Last edited by UncleZipper; 09-17-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Engine: 4.0

its not many amps at all just voltage, it bites and hurts a bit. No health issues. I use ot have a friend his dad would literally hold a plug/coil wire and then stick his tongue out and arc it to a fender etc.

I just cured a miss on mine caused be an old set of plug wires.
What plug number is it? I've got some extra wires, maybe I'll just send you one if your tight for cash and can't afford a whole set.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Caish
its not many amps at all just voltage, it bites and hurts a bit. No health issues. I use ot have a friend his dad would literally hold a plug/coil wire and then stick his tongue out and arc it to a fender etc.

I just cured a miss on mine caused be an old set of plug wires.
What plug number is it? I've got some extra wires, maybe I'll just send you one if your tight for cash and can't afford a whole set.
Damn, I thought my dad was hardcore before I read that.

The one I had to cut open was number 1, but until tomorrow I won't be able to say for sure. That's really nice of you to offer, by the way. I hope I'll be able to go and get a set soon, but I might actually take you up on that offer if not.