Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please help! starting problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Please help! starting problems.

I have a problem with my jeep (98 Cherokee classic V6 4.0). Sometimes it have starting problems. If I leave it sitting over night and then try to start it in the morning it starts fine, but when I drive it somewhere and hour or two later try to start it again it wont start, it will turn over and you can get it started by keep on pumping gas pedal. I have new battery and my starter and pos and neg cables are fine. Last year Ive replaced all the sparkplugs and leads, distributer cap and rotor. Also my temp gauge fluctuates a lot sometimes, it goes from 0 to 180 and back to 0, or it wont show anything at all. Please HELP!!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 PM

Come on guys! Any ideas??
Old 09-23-2013, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Pavlo, two things that you mention lead me to think that the "coolant temperature sensor" may be on the way out.

1. It starts well cold, but not hot. When this sensor is bad, it gives bad input signals to the computer which can impede starting, either cold or hot.
2. You are seeing the temperature gauge fluctuate a lot. The dash coolant gauge is also fed by the signals from this same sensor.

You can test this sensor, but to accurately do so is kind of involved. You could check for basic resistance levels both cold and hot and compare them to the mfg. specs listed in all maintenance manuals, but for the cost of this sensor (not expensive), you might want to simply replace it. And that is what I would recommend.

The CTS is located in the thermostat housing. Easy to replace. I buy MOPAR engine management sensors directly from Jeep for the best reliability and mating with factory gauges, but if you decide to go aftermarket, see if you can find a NAPA store and buy this sensor from them. NAPA is 2nd best when it comes to sensors.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by tjwalker; 09-23-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Pavlo, two things that you mention lead me to think that the "coolant temperature sensor" may be on the way out.

1. It starts well cold, but not hot. When this sensor is bad, it gives bad input signals to the computer which can impede starting, either cold or hot.
2. You are seeing the temperature gauge fluctuate a lot. The dash coolant gauge is also fed by the signals from this same sensor.

You can test this sensor, but to accurately do so is kind of involved. You could check for basic resistance levels both cold and hot and compare them to the mfg. specs listed in all maintenance manuals, but for the cost of this sensor (not expensive), you might want to simply replace it. And that is what I would recommend.

The CTS is located in the thermostat housing. Easy to replace. I buy MOPAR engine management sensors directly from Jeep for the best reliability and mating with factory gauges, but if you decide to go aftermarket, see if you can find a NAPA store and buy this sensor from them. NAPA is 2nd best when it comes to sensors.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks man! I'll try to get then sensor asap first thing tomorrow morning. Is it something pretty easy to replace?