Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please help with a no-start issue!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Please help with a no-start issue!

Well I was driving along the other day with the family and my 2000 cherokee started loosing speed, the CEL came on and it stalled on the highway. Luckily I was able to get over to the shoulder before stopping. After that it would start and stall immediatly. Had to have it towed home. So, I ran the codes and came up with p0351, p0352, p0353 and p0300. All coil malfunctions and a random misfire which must be related to the coil issues. Does this mean I have a bad coil pack all of the sudden? I recently (2 months ago) replaced the crank sensor and the truck was running just fine until this. Any one have any direction I can go with this. Also I cleared the codes and it won't run or start at all but it will crank over nicely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to get to work this week!

Thanks

Andy
Old 08-19-2009, 11:47 AM

I just checked and its getting plenty of gas. Also it is getting spark. When I disconnect the cam sensor it does not hit at all but when I hook it back up it will back fire and hit once in a while. SO the ignition timing is off. What controls ignition timing? Is it just cam and crank sensors? If so I am going to replace the cam sensor because the crank sensor is new (I had the random stalling issue a few months ago).
Old 08-19-2009, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Both control timing,I think a cam position sensor is about $50,it is worth a try. If it does not solve the problem I would suggest having a mechanic scan it and tell you what is wrong,because it could be number of things.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

you might want to manually check your timing to make sure it is still good
Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by mixed89
Both control timing,I think a cam position sensor is about $50,it is worth a try. If it does not solve the problem I would suggest having a mechanic scan it and tell you what is wrong,because it could be number of things.
Just tried cam sensor and that didnt work. Neither did a new coil. Do you mean scan it for codes? I cleared the codes already and now it won't give me any to work with.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by jd4x426
you might want to manually check your timing to make sure it is still good
How do I do that with distributorless ignition? Do you mean mechanical timing? I gues I could do that.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

No what I mean by scan it is they can hook up there scan tool and see what the no start issue is,or you can do what I call a fire drill,replace everything until you find the problem,which is not a good idea.that is what some folks will do and they end up spending alot more than they should,you just replaced the cam sensor and coil.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 PM

Haha. Fire drill, I like that. Well I guess its off to the stealership. Any last suggestions? Could this be a PCM malfunction?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mtrdrms
Haha. Fire drill, I like that. Well I guess its off to the stealership. Any last suggestions? Could this be a PCM malfunction?
to be honest it could be several things,it could be the pcm,bad cat,timing chain,but you say it fires up and then dies,my 89 when it does that is fuel related and it is a connection that the wire falls off,I just suggest the shop because you can have them tell you what is the matter and fix it yourself,or them.
I am sure there som others on here that have some insight also.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I've heard of a similar problem with 00-01 Xj's and it turned out to be a bad computer. A new one can run you 800 dollars plus labor for an actual JEEP dealer to reprogram it. Also a dealership will have more than just a scan tool. A dealership will have a diagnostic computer and will be able to identify all systems and hopefully any malfunctions. Much more accurate than a code reader. Just make sure you contact a JEEP mechanic, not Ford, and you talk with the mechanic, NOT the "service advisor." Service Advisors are straight up LIARS!!