Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please help. My lug nut is stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI
Default Please help. My lug nut is stuck!

I own a 2000 Cherokee Xj. 2 hours ago I had a flat tire but luckily I was right next to my house. I I removed the 4 lug nuts and then there was the devil. A rusted out lug nut that is jammed and/or stripped. I tried using the 4 way lug wrench and none of the sides worked. On top of that I'm sick so I feel really weak but I should at least feel the wrench grip the lug nut. I posted a video but the quality is horrible. If anyone can help I would appreciate it very much.

Last edited by Raffobaghdo; 08-17-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:23 PM

Hit it with PB-blaster a couple of times a day for a few days. The worst you can do is strip it, because then you are cutting with a torch and replacing studs and alloy wheel.

If you have access to a torch, try to hit just the very top of the lug with it in attempt to heat up JUST the lug and expand the metal a bit.

like I said do not just use brute force, I learned this lesson the hardest way and had to buy a new alloy wheel and replace the stud after cutting the lug off with a torch. found out about 10K miles later that torching weakened the brake drum too and that was warped, had to replace that as well!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Techprimus
Hit it with PB-blaster a couple of times a day for a few days. The worst you can do is strip it, because then you are cutting with a torch and replacing studs and alloy wheel.

If you have access to a torch, try to hit just the very top of the lug with it in attempt to heat up JUST the lug and expand the metal a bit.

like I said do not just use brute force, I learned this lesson the hardest way and had to buy a new alloy wheel and replace the stud after cutting the lug off with a torch. found out about 10K miles later that torching weakened the brake drum too and that was warped, had to replace that as well!

Thank you very much for the advice. Sadly I don't have access to a torch because I'm only 16 years old. I was reading on some site that if you use a socket and if you hammer it on you can easily remove the lug nut. Would this work?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0

The socket and hammer trick will work, but you might ruin the socket. However, a new socket is cheaper than a new lug nut+wheel stud+wheel+possible brake drum.

Just use a socket that is one size smaller than normal
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

You can get a Nut removal tool that comes in various sizes from most Auto Part stores. Bring one of the lug nuts you were able to remove with you for sizing purposes.

What it amounts to is either a socket or large nut that you pound over your lug nut with a hammer & punch (read: deep-well socket). The removal tool has teeth around the inner portion that will grip the outside of your stripped/stuck lug nut. Then place a socket over (or ratchet inside depending on the style) the Removal Tool, (They are normally a hex style nut, obviously much larger than your lug nut is), and attempt to remove the stripped lug nut.

It would be something similar to this:
Amazon.com: Lock Technology (LT 4300) Twist Socket Lugnut Removal System: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Lock Technology (LT 4300) Twist Socket Lugnut Removal System: Home Improvement

Also, the PB Blaster is a very good idea, if its rusted on, and not just stuck due to cross-threading, no sense in making the job more difficult than it has to be by brute forcing the lug nut off.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

the cover is missing off the lug. Use a 18mm socket, tap it on with a hammer, should come off
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by DaddyGreenGenes
The socket and hammer trick will work, but you might ruin the socket. However, a new socket is cheaper than a new lug nut+wheel stud+wheel+possible brake drum.

Just use a socket that is one size smaller than normal
I can get a new socket for 2 bucks at a junkyard from a different jeep lol. I hope it doesn't result to that. Thank you

Originally Posted by TSea99XJ
You can get a Nut removal tool that comes in various sizes from most Auto Part stores. Bring one of the lug nuts you were able to remove with you for sizing purposes.

What it amounts to is either a socket or large nut that you pound over your lug nut with a hammer & punch (read: deep-well socket). The removal tool has teeth around the inner portion that will grip the outside of your stripped/stuck lug nut. Then place a socket over (or ratchet inside depending on the style) the Removal Tool, (They are normally a hex style nut, obviously much larger than your lug nut is), and attempt to remove the stripped lug nut.

It would be something similar to this: Amazon.com: Lock Technology (LT 4300) Twist Socket Lugnut Removal System: Home Improvement

Also, the PB Blaster is a very good idea, if its rusted on, and not just stuck due to cross-threading, no sense in making the job more difficult than it has to be by brute forcing the lug nut off.
If nothing else works I might have to buy this. Would wd40 work replacing pb blaster or is that a complete different item?

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
the cover is missing off the lug. Use a 18mm socket, tap it on with a hammer, should come off
Yeah I have no clue why the cover is missing. I hope that works
Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: I6

PB blaster and patience young padawan.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 PM

I know that thieves that want to steal wheels with a lock nut hammer a slightly smaller socket on to the nut and 9 times out of 10 that gives them enough bite to get it off. Like others have said, find the smallest socket you think will fit on there and hammer it unto the nut. Probably helps if you had an impact gun as well to break it loose.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sloassmac
I know that thieves that want to steal wheels with a lock nut hammer a slightly smaller socket on to the nut and 9 times out of 10 that gives them enough bite to get it off. Like others have said, find the smallest socket you think will fit on there and hammer it unto the nut. Probably helps if you had an impact gun as well to break it loose.

If only I made good money as a 16 year old to buy an impact wrench but I feel like that's my only solution to this problem. I am confused on how a new tire can go flat. I got 4 new good year tires from walmart and I feel like I was ripped off. All 4 of them lose air and I just noticed earlier the front left tire has a lug nut cover missing.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Raffobaghdo
If only I made good money as a 16 year old to buy an impact wrench but I feel like that's my only solution to this problem. I am confused on how a new tire can go flat. I got 4 new good year tires from walmart and I feel like I was ripped off. All 4 of them lose air and I just noticed earlier the front left tire has a lug nut cover missing.
Are your rims beat up? Are you running the stock size tire? 33 psi? I've never heard of new tires loosing pressure unless it was a problem with them seating properly. I know how walmart can seem like a deal but it hurts the smaller shops and those are the guys who could have helped you with this problem. Its the price we pay when we shop at the big box.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sloassmac
Are your rims beat up? Are you running the stock size tire? 33 psi? I've never heard of new tires loosing pressure unless it was a problem with them seating properly. I know how walmart can seem like a deal but it hurts the smaller shops and those are the guys who could have helped you with this problem. Its the price we pay when we shop at the big box.
Rims are not beat up or scuffed. Near mint and they are all stock. 35 PSI but they go down after a day or two. I would love to go to small tire shops but I can't really afford it. I learned my lesson. I'm not going to walmart again. I think they over tightened the lug nuts
Old 08-17-2011, 11:43 PM

Year: 1996

pb blaster. hammer. wait.
pb blaster. hammer. wait.

go grab a cheater bar of somesort.
a long metal pipe that you can slide over the end of your ratchet
longer it is easier it will be

should help alot
Old 08-17-2011, 11:54 PM

Year: 1990

hammer on a socket smaller and either use a cheater bar or a bigass breaker bar. Make sure the tire is touching the ground so that the wheel wont move. (support the axle with a jack and lower it enough so the tire is on the ground) Should come off pretty easily. Worse case is you have to cut the lug off and press on a new stud and get a new lug. It really isnt too hard and the stud was 99 cents I think last time I did it. Was pretty easy really. well good luck.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Seasoned Member

I usually use a 6 point socket and a breaker bar possilbly with a pipe on it. If ya can't get it with that leverage get a bigger pipe.

Quick Reply: Please help. My lug nut is stuck!