Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please help me buy a used Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Please help me buy a used Cherokee

I'm looking to buy a used 1999-2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport and have no idea what to look for when looking at dealerships. What are Cherokee's known for? Known to go bad? What things should I check for and how? I will obviously take it to a mechanic but I want to be able to somewhat determine if it’s a decent vehicle before spending $100 for the mechanic to inspect it. I've heard the 4.0 I6 engine is very powerful and reliable, but have also heard Jeep's are expensive to maintain/repair. Please help! Thanks!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Basically, how do i tell if its been well maintained and will last several more years without thousand dollar repairs?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by JeepN00bie
I'm looking to buy a used 1999-2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport and have no idea what to look for when looking at dealerships. What are Cherokee's known for? Known to go bad? What things should I check for and how? I will obviously take it to a mechanic but I want to be able to somewhat determine if it’s a decent vehicle before spending $100 for the mechanic to inspect it buy a sub to Carfax or Autocheck. I've heard the 4.0 I6 engine is very powerful and reliable 190 hp , most mopeds have trouble keeping up, but have also heard Jeep's are expensive to maintain/repair don't buy it if you are afraid of gas stations. Please help! Thanks!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 PM

I'm not talking about maintaining it gas-wise, but rather mechanically and all round in good condition. Also it seems carfax doesn't really show how well a car has been maintained, at least the ones I've seen.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I'm not talking about maintaining it gas-wise, but rather mechanically and all round in good condition. Also it seems carfax doesn't really show how well a car has been maintained, at least the ones I've seen.
Take a basic automotive mechanics course.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Take a basic automotive mechanics course.
Could we please keep it realistic it, I am really trying to learn but taking a class is a bit extreme. I am excited about owning a Jeep, I just want to buy the right one.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

just try to find the cleanest one you can find. avoid rust. the 00-01 and maybe some '99s have the "0331" head which has shown to crack and mix coolant and oil. some w/the 0331 head still hit 200k. imo, the '99 is prob the all around best model, with the 95/96 a close second.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

manifolds also tend to crack a lot on the pre '97s.. not a huge deal, but something to know. also MAKE SURE THE FRAME IS STRAIGHT. cherokees have unibodies, and a bent unibody is someting you dont want.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: i6

wow, real nice guys...

id stay way from 99-01 cause of head issue(crackin)... pick up a nice renix and learn the jeep...

where ya located?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:05 PM

Year: 1990

Here is my realistic answer:

Ive been through this with a friend of mines who recent just purchased a cherokee. If you are not mechanically inclined I DO NOT suggest buying a cherokee just because quite frankly it will turn into a money pit. There are a lot of common parts on these trucks that will break or wear out after being on the roads for over 12 years. The engine IMO is far from powerful, I mean sure it gets around and has a decent amount of power but not powerful by any means. Now if that doesnt phase you then by all means go buy a cherokee just dont expect a perfectly maintained vehicle. Remember the motto JEEP "Just Empty Every Pocket"

Now I will say this if you are still dead set and determined on purchasing a cherokee still then look for the following signs as you would with any used car.

Checking the paperwork:
-make sure the car has clean title with no liens
-check carfax
-check mileage
-service records etc.

Now to the actual physical stuff
-check for leaks (usually the rear mains on the 4.0 will go with time)
-check the oil and make sure it doesnt look like choco milk (if it does then theres coolant in the oil)
-check the tranny fluid to see condition and smell(if auto, if a 5 speed then forget this)
-check coolant for condition and color (DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE COLD)
-check air filter for debris
-look underneath of the vehicle for rust. Common areas are quarter panels, fenders, and floorboards. (surface rust can be dealt with, but if you can see the carpet or poke a hole through it, its probably extra crispy)
-Look at tire quality and tread depth.
-Get underneath and check the tierod/steering components for play.

While driving the vehicle:
-make sure the engine idles correctly (no surging or bumpy idle)
-while accelerating make sure the tranny shifts smoothly
-check the make sure signals and lights work
-check parking brake and foot brake for play.

This should get you started pretty well as far as inspecting a vehicle yourself.

Things to note:
-99+ have the elusive head cracking issues
-All cherokees usually will have exhaust manifold issues at one point or another
-00 and 01 models do not have a distributor, they use an ignition pack instead.
-97+ is OBD2

Last edited by sam24th; 07-25-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 PM
CF Veteran

oh and make a new account without noob in the name, just sayin, hit up craigslist and just ask what we think here
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f9/cra...0637/index274/
Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sam24th
Here is my realistic answer:

Ive been through this with a friend of mines who recent just purchased a cherokee.
nice.....
Old 07-25-2012, 11:42 PM

I thought only the 00-01 had the bad 0331 head, not the 99?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Basically, how do i tell if its been well maintained and will last several more years without thousand dollar repairs?
There aren't many thousand-dollar repairs on an XJ. Most everything is fairly simple and commonly available. (engineering so simple even a caveman can do it, lol)
Even if you blow an engine or trans, they are cheap and readily available from scrapyards. Up here rust kills them long before the engine or trans fails.
There is no reason the 4.0 and trans will NOT run 300K miles with simple maintenance.

One thing you may want to do is find a bumpy road with a 55+ speed limit and see if you have any sign of death wobble after hitting a few bumps. That can be no fun to track down and fix.

Outside that, listen for unusual noises...engine noises, clicks or clunks from the driveline, check the inside of the air filter box for oil residue, the stuff on Sam's list above....
Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

The most expensive thing you'll have to replace, and I'm not even kidding, are the window regulators.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Please help me buy a used Cherokee