Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please help! clutch slave cyulinder issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Please help! clutch slave cyulinder issue

my clutch is bad news. eve replaced the slave 3 times and the master twice. On this round i was parked in a parking lot with it in reverse with the clutch in and it just took off. i had to pump the pedal to get it home and even then i took of like a centimeter off the floor so i figured just another slave. took the old one back got a new one replaced it bleed the line and i push the pedal in and it sinks to the floor slowly. i can pump it up if i pump it really quickly but if i pump it up and slowly push it in it will loose pressure. no air bubbles are coming up and the line is 100% bled. im wondering if im not making the plunger into the fork. i can feel it with my finger and that is the only place the plunger could fall it seems to me, but thats why im asking. also maybe on a related note before the slave went out when i was sitting at a stop with it in gear it would clunk and lurch forward like it was going into gear in a rythmic tap tap tap tap style motion. replaced the motor mounts havent checked flywheel but it almost seems like the master isnt getting fully depressed. my pedal is not bent as i have read a few posts about that happening. it seemed to shift better if i pushed the pedal past the floor with all my strength. going to break the seat with that method though. i am sick of this bull and its really starting to make me mad. if i cant figure it out im going to make it a nice white target for the AR and 300 win mag. please please help me any way you can. thanks!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Anybody?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Should check the pressure plate and flywheel. Your flywheel might be cracked, and making the tap noise you are hearing.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:13 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

and definitely check the clutch pedal... even if it doesnt look bent, take it out and you can have a better visual. get an angle measurer and make sure it sits at 90 degrees. any less, or more in this case, its FUBAR'ED... had the same problem with my 91 comanche, went through 7 master cylinders before i even thought of the clutch pedal