Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please Help. 89 XJ will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Please Help. 89 XJ will not start.

First thank you for any replies. I posted a thread about this jeep earlier and how nice it is and all but I will save you the long story. I will say however I got this jeep for free. Now to the problem.

It's an 89 XJ auto, 4x4, 4.0. It has 78,xxx original miles.
It will not start. It just turns over and over.

I've been reading what it could be before I even got the jeep. Today I took a spark plug out and looked to see if it sparked. It did but it was orange not blue. Which I've read is a sign of week spark.

1. Could it be crank sensor? I thought that might be it but some one said it had any spark that it can't be crank sensor.

2. Could it be the coil? I thought that might be it as well but also read that if it sparks at all then it is not the coil.

Is this true?

3. Could it be fuel relay?

4. Could it be fuel pump? It comes on for a few seconds but I haven't checked pressure yet

I also know it could be a few other things such as distributor, rotor, asd relay. What got me is the WEAK spark. Does it automatically rule out ignitio problems as some websites say?

Based on the orange spark does it sound more like a fuel issue or ignition?
PS: I also know it could (rarely) be a blown head gasket but this jeep is so nice and its never been run hot the man said.

What do you think it might be?
Old 08-12-2015, 07:36 PM

Today I was checking some stuff out and found if put starter fluid in it would start up anywhere from 2-15 seconds depending on how much starter fluid I put in. It ran and sounded really good. Then it would cut off.

Also when I took a screw driver and pushed the valve at the rail under the hood it had no pressure or gas come out at all.

So is it fuel pump, fuel pump relay, regulator, or what?

How do I test to find out. Thank you.

Also can this cause orange spark?
Old 08-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker
Today I was checking some stuff out and found if put starter fluid in it would start up anywhere from 2-15 seconds depending on how much starter fluid I put in. It ran and sounded really good. Then it would cut off.

Also when I took a screw driver and pushed the valve at the rail under the hood it had no pressure or gas come out at all.

So is it fuel pump, fuel pump relay, regulator, or what?

How do I test to find out. Thank you.

Also can this cause orange spark?
if it started with starting fluid and you have no fuel pressure at the rail your on the right path.
1 there is a ballast resistor on the front left fender next to the air filter, see if it is broken or maybe un plugged.
2 if that looks good what I would do is go to the auto parts store pick up 4 feet 5/16 fuel line go under the xj and disconnect the fuel line at the sender switch that is going to the fuel filter, hook up the new fuel line you bought to the sender and put the other end in a glass bottle. turn on the key to run position not cranking. you should hear the fuel pump go on for a few seconds. when it stops look and see if you have a inch or two of fuel in the bottle if you do you have a clogged filter or line or possible a bad regulator. if there is not a decent amount of fuel in the bottle and you are sure you heard the fuel pump kick on for a few seconds, your pump is bad or clogged. replace it.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheGreatGazoo
if it started with starting fluid and you have no fuel pressure at the rail your on the right path.
1 there is a ballast resistor on the front left fender next to the air filter, see if it is broken or maybe un plugged.
2 if that looks good what I would do is go to the auto parts store pick up 4 feet 5/16 fuel line go under the xj and disconnect the fuel line at the sender switch that is going to the fuel filter, hook up the new fuel line you bought to the sender and put the other end in a glass bottle. turn on the key to run position not cranking. you should hear the fuel pump go on for a few seconds. when it stops look and see if you have a inch or two of fuel in the bottle if you do you have a clogged filter or line or possible a bad regulator. if there is not a decent amount of fuel in the bottle and you are sure you heard the fuel pump kick on for a few seconds, your pump is bad or clogged. replace it.
Thank you I pretty much get it but I have a couple questions.

Maybe I'm confused and sorry if this is stupid but is the 4 feet 5/16 fuel hose specific to my jeep? Do I need to say I need it for an 89 XJ or just say I need 4 feet 5/16 fuel hose? Once again sorry I'm dumb but I'm kind of young and I'm learning everyday thanks to you guys.

Second question. I got under the jeep earlier today and unhooked the clamps at the fuel filter on the side closest to the front of jeep. I pulled off the hose/line and gas leaked out.

So where do I need to hook the 4 feet hose exactly on the front side of fuel filter or back side of filter or a completely different spot altogether. Once again sorry and I really really thank you for teaching me these things.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:37 AM

Another question. I was thinking based on what it's doing and having no pressure at rail. Could it be dirty or clogged fuel injectors?

If so what's the best way to clean them to get this jeep started? Just pour sea foam or fuel injection cleaner? Or should I take them all out to clean them?

I just poured in about 4.5 gallons of premium gas yesterday on top of maybe 1/8 of tank. Just letting you know.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Another question. I was thinking based on what it's doing and having no pressure at rail. Could it be dirty or clogged fuel injectors?

If so what's the best way to clean them to get this jeep started? Just pour sea foam or fuel injection cleaner? Or should I take them all out to clean them?

I just poured in about 4.5 gallons of premium gas yesterday on top of maybe 1/8 of tank. Just letting you know.
If the injectors were clogged you would have pressure at the rail but nothing in the cylinder. You have a pump issue if nothing is at the rail. Either clogged somewhere, dead pump or not getting power.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by toasterknight
If the injectors were clogged you would have pressure at the rail but nothing in the cylinder. You have a pump issue if nothing is at the rail. Either clogged somewhere, dead pump or not getting power.

Alright that what I thought but it never hurts to make sure.

I called NAPA and ask how much a fuel pump was and he asked if I wanted the fuel pump assembly. I just said yes. It $100.

What's the difference between fuel pump and fuel pump assembly? Does it come with the lines and everything and should I get the assembly or not?

Also I know Bosch is best but no parts store near me has straight out Bosch but Oreilly's had a fuel pump assembly made by Precision with Bosch parts. It has a warranty. Would that be good enough? I've read Carter and Airtex or not that great.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

You want the assembly as it should have everything that goes in the tank.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:08 PM

You want the assembly as it should have everything that goes in the tank.
Ok thank you.
But before I go out and buy something I may not need.

My uncle said it may be just the fuel filter or fuel line. He said to take the hose off the filter and try to turn the key and see if fuel shot out pretty good and if so that it was the filter or line.

I unhooked the line(side closest to motor) and gas started pouring out which I figured it would. Do I need to unhook the hose on the side closest to back? Since its letting gas flow through the filter when it's just sitting does that mean the filter isn't clogged or what? Once again I feel dumb.

Any help would be appreciated. Once I do something one time I never forget how to do it again but until I do it the first time I don't know but then again who would.

Last edited by Chick-N-Picker; 08-13-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know when I messed with my relay my90 remix wouldn't start.
Check that relay really close for broken wires..
Old 08-13-2015, 05:40 PM

I changed the fuel filter AND still no start.

However when I changed the fuel filter a let the new one hang down into a catch pan without the fuel line connected but ithe back hose was. I got in the jeep and turned the key and heard the fuel pump kick on. I jumped out to see if gas was coming out of the filter into the catch pan and it wasn't.

What does this mean? Is this even a way to test anything?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

I changed the fuel filter AND still no start.

However when I changed the fuel filter a let the new one hang down into a catch pan without the fuel line connected but ithe back hose was. I got in the jeep and turned the key and heard the fuel pump kick on. I jumped out to see if gas was coming out of the filter into the catch pan and it wasn't.

What does this mean? Is this even a way to test anything?
Sounds like the first outpour of fuel was just residual in the filter and lines. Can you actually hear the pump run when you cycle the key?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:12 PM

Sounds like the first outpour of fuel was just residual in the filter and lines. Can you actually hear the pump run when you cycle the key?
Yes it comes on every time I turn the key. If I turn the key it comes on then I wait 10 seconds it comes on then wait 10 more it comes on just like it should.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Yes it comes on every time I turn the key. If I turn the key it comes on then I wait 10 seconds it comes on then wait 10 more it comes on just like it should.
Sounds like a pump issue if your not getting any fuel though it is cycling.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:13 PM

Welp. I guess I'm be replacing the pump tomorrow. Guess I'll go ahead and start reading manuals on Cherokeeforum and/or Jeepforum now.

Quick Reply: Please Help. 89 XJ will not start.