Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default PLEASE HELP

1996 Jeep Cherokee Auto inline 6 4.0L
It died on me.
I can start it with no trouble and it will run great.
However, when I put it into drive, It stalls out.
Reverse works great, so I don't think it's the trany.
I'm working on it now. it may be a clogged sensor, torque converter, possibly the trany, or just low transmission fluid.

Edit: refilled the transmission fluid, it was a little low, also, this problem happend over 2 months ago and i replaced the air filter and a horrible looking fuel filter and it worked just fine until now except for two problems...i noticed that the two times it died in idle in drive, the car is not warmed all the way up, so i let the car warm up and i dont have any problems. i have tried waiting for the car to warm up and no joy...i have owned this jeep for 4 months and this has happend twice.

please help as i have talked to MULTIPLE mechanics and they are all stumped on a specific problem it could be...
Old 07-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by zackwilliams
1996 Jeep Cherokee Auto inline 6 4.0L
It died on me.
I can start it with no trouble and it will run great.
However, when I put it into drive, It stalls out.
Reverse works great, so I don't think it's the trany.
I'm working on it now. it may be a clogged sensor, torque converter, possibly the trany, or just low transmission fluid.

Edit: refilled the transmission fluid, it was a little low, also, this problem happend over 2 months ago and i replaced the air filter and a horrible looking fuel filter and it worked just fine until now except for two problems...i noticed that the two times it died in idle in drive, the car is not warmed all the way up, so i let the car warm up and i dont have any problems. i have tried waiting for the car to warm up and no joy...i have owned this jeep for 4 months and this has happend twice.

please help as i have talked to MULTIPLE mechanics and they are all stumped on a specific problem it could be...

Does the jeep idle weird? and have you checked the TPS.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

CPS-Crank postionins sensor