Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please help :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Please help :(

Ok so my jeep won't start. Battery and starter test fine. When I turn the key it clicks but doesn't turn over. I get no lights or anything. I was poking around the starter connections with a screw driver (that's what the guy at napa told me to do.) and I got an arc between two of the posts. Now I don't know what I need to replace. Can't get in touch with the guy I spoke to and nobody else is being any help. I THINK it's the second wire that y's off from the main cable. But what is that called? Idk. I just need help
Old 03-02-2013, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Sounds like battery connections need to be cleaned first . See if you get lights .
Old 03-03-2013, 12:17 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

You said "When I turn the key it clicks but doesn't turn over. I get no lights or anything." Are you saying your headlights don't come on? Then what freegdr said about cleaning the battery terminals. If you mean the normal indicator lights on the dash don't come on with the key in the on position, you could still have the battery terminal problem, but you might look at your ignition switch as well.
Usually the 'click click click' sound is the solenoid kicking on and off.. could be due to low battery, bad connection, or the starter switch itself. Turning your key energizes the solenoid which magnetically, physically closes a switch sending power to the starter coils as it kicks the starter gear into your flywheel. Your starter windings could be good, but the solenoid could be bad or weak.
As far as shorting the wires with a screwdriver, I wouldn't suggest doing that unless you know which two wires to short. You DO normally have full 12V there and we know what a direct short to a 12V battery can do If I had to venture a guess, I'd say you need a new starter. Keep us posted