Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please forgive me for asking something stupid

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Please forgive me for asking something stupid

When I bought my 91 Cherokee the previous owner had hit a Deer. The radiator was replaced and all was fine except needing a grill. Now I got the thinking, it has an engine driven fan on the right side of the radiator. Did it use to have an electric driven fan on the left side? I found a factory wire in the area where a fan could be connected but no other brackets.

Ive searched but cannot find an answer.

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-12-2015, 06:44 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

If you have A/C, then there is supposed to be an electric auxiliary fan on the driver's side. If not, I believe it was optional as part of the heavy-duty cooling system. I just can't remember what else would come with it that might clue you in if you have that option or not.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:07 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 with 96 cam and 19lb.four hole injectors

There really is no brackets. There should be 2 slots at the base of the radiator for the aux. fan to plug into. Two screws at the top hold it in place and the elec. connector should be a 2 conductor.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm not real familiar with jeeps and have worked on vehicles much older without electric fans. I do have air conditioning in it.

I do have the wire for the fan to plug into, where is the sensor that triggers it to come on? I have a sender coming out of the thermostat housing but I thought that might be for the temp gauge. There is another sensor at the back of the head on the drivers side.

Hopefully I can just get a fan and plug it in so it will work, any photos would be helpful.

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-12-2015, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Not a stupid question at all. Do the wires appear to be cut or just a blank plug? Do you have AC? A fan from any year 4.0 will work in there IIRC. I have a fan for a 2000 in my 87.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:48 PM

Did not find any cut wires. 2 prong connector is there above lower radiator hose. A relay is mounted above it, it is all factory. But I have no sensor in the radiator, I have a place that I think I could unscrew a plug out of it and screw in a temp sensor. Not sure what wires would connect to what.

Does the wire from the factory connect to the sensor and then the sensor connects to the fan?

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-12-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My '96 has this 2-wire plug for the electric fan. (zip-tied cause it has a broken locking tab)

It is light-green, and black wire on vehicle side. white and black on fan side .

Mine does not have a relay near the fan. The relay is in the power distribution box with all the other relays/fuses.

The fan and shroud assembly has 2 tabs that fit into slots on the lower radiator support. It is held at the top with 2 screws.
It fits right next to the shroud for the engine driven fan.

The engine coolant temp sensor (in the thermostat housing) is what tells the computer to engage the fan relay when it gets hot enough (usually somewhere around 215-220 degrees)
It is also operated when the A/C compressor is running at certain times....

If you have factory A/C, it probably came factory with an electric fan.

The little sensor at the back of the head, on the driver side is for the temp gauge (or idiot light) on the dash.

Last edited by Firehawk068; 01-12-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 PM

I'm thinking I just need the fan itself, that should be easy enough. It appears I have everything else, should be "Plug and Play"..........Famous last words Huh...........Thanks again I will post when I know more.

Mike
Old 01-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by N Ga Rider
should be "Plug and Play"
Yeah, um...

It should be plug and play, except that sometimes when the radiator has been replaced, for some stupid reason the little slots in the bottom bracket on the aftermarket radiator are not in exactly the same spot. Be patient and careful sliding the little plastic tabs into those slots. If you are not patient and careful, you can break those little tabs.

Then you have to crawl around under the Jeep in the dark looking for them to try to superglue them back on, but you only find one because the other one never made it to the ground, and you find it lodged somewhere two years later when you replace the crappy Autozone radiator, but by then it doesn't matter because you rigged up something with zip ties to make it work.

Just be patient slotting them in.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:54 PM

Good News Update, Got my fan for 57.00 shipped to me from 1A auto online. Fit perfect and comes on when the air conditioner is turned on. Seems all is well, Thanks for the help.

Mike