Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pitman arm position on steering shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Pitman arm position on steering shaft?

I'm replacing my steering box and drag link end.

Am i supposed to position the pitman arm on the splines of the steering shaft in any specific position?? Is there an on center position of some type? There's 4 available positions....Does it really matter which one i pick?

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but the way i see things is that:

1.) If the steering box is off the car, i can turn the steering wheel indefinitely

2.) With the pitman arm detached, i can turn the input of the steering box indefinitely

My current plan for this pitman arm is that i'm going to straighten both front wheels manually, then just plop the pitman arm in whatever position seems to fit and meet up with the drag link best. This is going to be with a rebuilt box so there's no way to replicate the positioning of the arm relative to the last box.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by gottarollwithit
I'm replacing my steering box and drag link end.

Am i supposed to position the pitman arm on the splines of the steering shaft in any specific position?? Is there an on center position of some type? There's 4 available positions....Does it really matter which one i pick?

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but the way i see things is that:

1.) If the steering box is off the car, i can turn the steering wheel indefinitely

2.) With the pitman arm detached, i can turn the input of the steering box indefinitely

My current plan for this pitman arm is that i'm going to straighten both front wheels manually, then just plop the pitman arm in whatever position seems to fit and meet up with the drag link best. This is going to be with a rebuilt box so there's no way to replicate the positioning of the arm relative to the last box.

Any thoughts?
First off, dont turn the steering wheel at all or you will break the clock spring. Keep it where it was before the work.
On mine the pitman arm could only go on 1 way and the steering shaft to box the same, 1 way. With drag links count the turns to remove it and put the new on the same turns, then use that sleeve thingy to centre your wheel.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

How exactly does this clock spring work?
When removing the box from the input shaft/steering column, i had to turn the wheel a bit back/forth. Did i already break the spring?

As for the pitman arm, it definitely can only go on one way. It's basically screw up proof.

Last edited by gottarollwithit; 03-19-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l

No I doubt it as long as you never kept turning it in the same direction for say 3+ turns, not sure exactly.