Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Piston noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Jbn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242 4.0
Default Piston noise?

Jeep cherokee with a 4.0 242 inline 6.

So a couple weeks ago i was having overheating issues. First figured it was the water pump, the radiator being clogged, thermosta ect. Then i went online and found a lot of people talking about a blown head gasket. Had the brown foamy sludge even after changing the entire cooling system. Alas it still overheated so i took it in for a test. The mech confirmed it was a blown hg and wanted 1400 to change it. Well i figured i can do it myself.

So yesterday i started the process of removing the head. Got everything off and out of the way and got the head lifted off tonight. I feel like i just opened a can of worms. I really dont want to or have the ability to remove the entire block and cant afford all the parts to change everything. If i have to so be it tho.

I have two questions...First is when i turn the crank manually i am hearing a squeek noise from one or two of the pistons in the cylinder when they reach a certain hight. It only lasts for a second but im a bit concerned. Any idea what this could be and is it serious?

Second question is the number 11 bolt that goes into the water jacket broke off at the bottom tip. Maybe a single thread but it still goes back in. What should i do about this? I was guessing re remove the water pump and flush it out again or try to find where it went.

Keep in mind the jeep ran smooth and strong before i tore it apart and didnt make any strange noises. The idiot temp light came on three times on me and i tried to stop asap but it was always on the highway during rush hour traffic...not fun! Apparently the combustion gas was leaking into the coolant system..ie no smoke, water in oil.

Tnx for reading.