Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Peeling/Flaking Clear Coat

Old 06-13-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Peeling/Flaking Clear Coat

I have several spots where the clear coat is bubbling and peeling, on a black paint job it looks horrible, big white spots. I read that you can sand off the flaking clear coat just down to the basecoat then respray with some duplicolor clear coat. I tried this on the spot on my roof, and it looks better, but i couldnt get all the white flaking bubbled clearcoat off perfect, and in some spot the basecoat got scratched and it doesnt look good. before i do any of the visible sections on the body that need it, any ideas how to get the crappy clear off without messing up the basecoat?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:19 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

you'd probably have to get the clear coat off with a buffer and some sort of compound. I have a few spots but it doesn't bother me too much. Its my fault since it hasn't been waxed in quite a while.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by FlexdXJ
Its my fault since it hasn't been waxed in quite a while.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Have you seen how many cherokees and dodge trucks have this problem?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chrysler used to take bids on the paint and clear coat suppliers. Lowest bidder won the contract to supply all of the paint materials. Of course as most can tell from all the 80s and 90s Mopar vehicles with peeling clear coat, that this was a very bad business decision.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:34 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

Originally Posted by EvilBlackXJ
Don't be too hard on yourself. Have you seen how many cherokees and dodge trucks have this problem?
True but not waxing it for almost 2 years doesn't help either!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:25 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

Yea, chrysler did a poor job in the 80's and 90's. My old 88 cherokee peeled soo bad that the hood and roof looked white and the base color was black. Waxing did not help stop the clearcoat from peeling off. The problem was the poor pretreat and prime applied. When the government removed lead from all paint, the manufacturers had no answer on how to deal with it.
I was able to lightly hold a window scraper (razor blade) against the hood and roof to remove all the old clearcoat. Painted the jeep with 4 cans of spray paint, just to make it look black again. I was given the name of a small paint shop, but they quoted me $2000, because they needed to remove all the clearcoat down to the primer. I just wanted a cheap acrylic coat to make it look black again, so I used spray paint. My newer 96 has half the hood peeling. It took @8 years before it started with a small white spot and has been spreading since. I checked with a regional paint shop and it will cost less than $200 to strip and repaint it.