Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PCN Plug Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default PCN Plug Replacement

We have a 97 4.0L GC Laredo with about 150,000 mi that is experiencing the random idling and stalling that seems to be an ongoing problem. We replaced the PCN about a year ago for the same problem and it seemed to take care of it. Within the last 4-6 weeks, the problem has returned. I have cleaned the contacts and used the tie wraps to stabilize the plugs. I have just been told by the shop that currently has it that Chrysler previously had a kit available for the replacement of the PCN plugs and that if the 3 were replaced for $720 ($195 parts, $525 labor for cut and splice) that they guaranteed it would fix the problem (yeah sure). Having searched the jeep forums extensively, I have not read anything about a kit available from Chrysler or that the plug replacement was performed. While the vehicle is in really good shape, I don't really want to invest what I think is about 20-25% of what the vehicle is currently worth, even with their "guarantee". Your assistance and feedback is appreciated
Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by WifesJeep
We have a 97 4.0L GC Laredo with about 150,000 mi that is experiencing the random idling and stalling that seems to be an ongoing problem. We replaced the PCN about a year ago for the same problem and it seemed to take care of it. Within the last 4-6 weeks, the problem has returned. I have cleaned the contacts and used the tie wraps to stabilize the plugs. I have just been told by the shop that currently has it that Chrysler previously had a kit available for the replacement of the PCN plugs and that if the 3 were replaced for $720 ($195 parts, $525 labor for cut and splice) that they guaranteed it would fix the problem (yeah sure). Having searched the jeep forums extensively, I have not read anything about a kit available from Chrysler or that the plug replacement was performed. While the vehicle is in really good shape, I don't really want to invest what I think is about 20-25% of what the vehicle is currently worth, even with their "guarantee". Your assistance and feedback is appreciated
Can't really help much but a Google search turned up the following

http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/1...or-97-jeep-gc/

Didn't even look at the link and not sure how electrically inclined you are (but it's prolly just cut and splice like you said), but that's a lotta' money for a couple edge connectors and some butt splices.......just sayin