Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PCM wiring help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default PCM wiring help!

Hello, so i seemed to have snagged a wire on my PCM and the wire broke... now i am left with a 1/4 inch nub of wire protruding from the harness/pcm/clip and it isn't enough to spline together! I was told theres a tool to remove wires from these clips, bu was also told that i can use picks or jewelers tools to undo the clip so that it releases the wire...

what am i looking for when i do this? anyone have any pics? i hate to make a thread for this but i cant get any other clear answers by searching. and id REALLY prefer no to eff up my pcm hahaha

help is appreciated! thankss
Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

At any auto parts place, or even walmart, you can find some wire connectors. for a job like this, you probably want a butt connector. If you can strip the nub and fit it inside this tube, you can couple the wire back together again. I don't know if you have enough wire to strip, though. This is one of those things I wish i could see myself.

Good luck man
Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

Soldering would be best and use shrink tubing to cover the bare wire. Only other option imo is to get a pig tail from the dealer or junk yard.
It might be possible to get the broken wire and contact out of the connector but this is usually a pain as they aren't meant to come out and besides that the contacts are usually crimped onto the wire and nearly impossible to re crimp properly once you pull it off of the wire.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Seasoned Member

i found these... is this something i can use? http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2102600#

heres some pics of the problem..

Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

That Radio Shack tool is the right idea, but I'm sure it'll be too small - the D-sub connectors it's made for have much smaller pins. You can try it - but i'm sure you will destroy it in the process - but that doesn't really matter, as long as it lasts long enough to get your one pin out.
Can you get a new connector from a scrapyard? That will give you 2 options:
1. Cut all your wires off, and splice the new connector on one wire at a time. You would really need to solder and heat-shrink each connection, else you'll run into problems with those stupid butt-splices falling off before long.
2. Cut the junkyard connector apart, see how it holds the pins in, to see what you have to do to extract the pin from your connector. Then you can replace just the one pin of your connector (and you have about 60 chances to extract one undamaged from the junkyard connector ). Be sure to leave enough pigtail on the junkyard connector to be able to solder and heatshrink the splice.
If you can't get a connector from junkyard, inspect your really carefully (good light, use a magnifying glass). Either the connector body will have a plastic tab that needs to be pushed back to extract the pin, or the pin will have a tab that needs to be pushed "into the pin" to free it. Sometime the connector will be 2-piece, you may have to separate the front from the back to have access to free up the pins. Sorry I don't have first-had experience on that particular connector, but I've done many others... You will not be be able to uncrimp the wire from the existing pin, and re-crimp it (unless you're a lot better than I - I've tried). You're best off soldering onto the remaining wire.

Good luck - it can be done, with care.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

THAT, sir is a great idea... (soldering a new harness & wires to the existing one)... i think, honestly, if i can't find a harness at a junkyard, im gonna have an auto electrician do the fix (im not in the mood to ruin my ecm) haha... but do you know by any chance, would the ecm wiring differ at all from that of an auto and a manual? (mines a manual)
but thanks for the information! most definately the clearest answer i got so far