Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Passenger side - Wet Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Passenger side - Wet Carpet

I don't know what made me clean my floor mats, but I'm glad I did. I have rubber mats in now because of rain/snow, and under it, I found the carpet to be wet. No idea where it is coming from, nothing else is wet except the passenger side. I took off the carpet to see how bad it is, and I found a lot of water, more than i thought. The floor pans seem to be in good condition, but there was a ton of water. I will attach pictures of mid-after clean up. Don't know what the next step or how to troubleshoot, anyone who had the problem please help me find it. We're getting a big rain storm tomorrow, so if it's from the windshield or the door, I'll try and keep an eye out. It's definitely water and not coolant.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Could be the windshield isn't sealed, or your doors. When I had a leak, it was through the blower seal in the passenger firewall, the "putty" ono the passenger corner or the engine bay, and the biggest was from the gutter rails. I don't know if they were separated a bit, but when I poured water in the rails with the doors open, it was dripping right through. The water would travel down the door and into the passenger footwell. But of course it could be many other places as well. Just gotta do water testing everywhere.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Could be the windshield isn't sealed, or your doors. When I had a leak, it was through the blower seal in the passenger firewall, the "putty" ono the passenger corner or the engine bay, and the biggest was from the gutter rails. I don't know if they were separated a bit, but when I poured water in the rails with the doors open, it was dripping right through. The water would travel down the door and into the passenger footwell. But of course it could be many other places as well. Just gotta do water testing everywhere.
Yeah, i'm going to diagnose tomorrow while its raining. The strange part is that no where else is wet, just in that area. Could be coming down the a pillar though, I dont know.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

lots of threads on this. pictures ,discussed to death. some disagree when i say"they all leak' so ill just say that a lot of guys have this problem. search and find tons of infi. my posts cover the great efforts i had to make to get 100 % dry.
its mainly the air intake in the chamber with wiper motor.
air goes in the driver side,and water. air goes to the pass side to the heater air vent that is covered by yhe solid part of the cowling on the pass side.
it leake around the vent. different years are different.
i got started by reading other's posts.
its a big job.
pull the pass seat and block the carpet up with sticks/ whatever till it dries in a week or so.
good luck.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
lots of threads on this. pictures ,discussed to death. some disagree when i say"they all leak' so ill just say that a lot of guys have this problem. search and find tons of infi. my posts cover the great efforts i had to make to get 100 % dry.
its mainly the air intake in the chamber with wiper motor.
air goes in the driver side,and water. air goes to the pass side to the heater air vent that is covered by yhe solid part of the cowling on the pass side.
it leake around the vent. different years are different.
i got started by reading other's posts.
its a big job.
pull the pass seat and block the carpet up with sticks/ whatever till it dries in a week or so.
good luck.
I just took the cowl and wiper assembly apart, and I couldn't get anywhere near the air intake, how did you get there to seal it?
Old 01-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Banned

search and read like i said,lots to do.
reach in as far as you can and glue in a dam to stop water flow to pass side but u gotta deal with drainage thru cowl screws and around the vert vent. i said its not ez. find early threads ,,,read.

its not ez, did i say that!!

Last edited by nujeepguy; 01-22-2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling,keybord trbl
Old 01-22-2017, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by the_toxic_hotdog
I just took the cowl and wiper assembly apart, and I couldn't get anywhere near the air intake, how did you get there to seal it?
You have to cut above it. But make sure that's your issue before you cut
Old 01-22-2017, 11:41 PM
Banned

dont cut anything till you find 3-4 threads on this.
you may not want to do what i did but its ez and is all inside under hood. can be sealed after. you choose AFTER reading and seeing what others did. they are the experts!!
Old 01-23-2017, 12:39 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L inline/straight 6-cylinder
Default 88 Cherokee wet floorboard puddle

I just showed up here to see if any info on puddling floorboards - found your very similar post!

My driver side floorboard has a puddle of water, and from just sitting in driveway during heavy rain (not driving, running a.c., heater or anything). This is a new thing (after 15 years of owning the Jeep).

The lowest part of the floorboard carpet has a 1/4 inch of water standing in it, BUT, none of the surrounding transitional more vertical carpet is wet at all.

It is NOT dripping from above the floorboard (I've had little trays all over the floor there, to see if anything is coming from above, and there's nothing).
SO - this is weird. If it's not coming from directly above, and not draining from the surrounding more vertical area, where could it be coming from??

I'm now about to embark on my search for solution, so f I find something useful, I'll try to remember to come back here with the info!

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Banned

behind heater on the firewall
Old 01-23-2017, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Is the heater motor vent tube in place and sealing correctly?
Old 01-23-2017, 10:58 PM
Banned

you need to pull carpet up and that black padding under the carpet where your feet go. pull it down from under heater and block it up to dry underneath. water is prob coming in under it from around the vertical air intake.
ive been here and done this, no guesses,facts from experience. mine also had a tiny leak from some other unknown place.
when i stopped ALL water from exiting the pass side it dried up. its in my pictures,the dam and the extension metal shute extension.
hard to describe, find other threads and pics.
im done,,,im dry,,,can run a hose...
oh, i also mentioned but not pictured drilling three small holes in firewall above the lip on the driver side to help drain driver side since no water goes to pass side.

thats what happened

Last edited by nujeepguy; 01-23-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by the_toxic_hotdog
I don't know what made me clean my floor mats, but I'm glad I did. I have rubber mats in now because of rain/snow, and under it, I found the carpet to be wet. No idea where it is coming from, nothing else is wet except the passenger side. I took off the carpet to see how bad it is, and I found a lot of water, more than i thought. The floor pans seem to be in good condition, but there was a ton of water. I will attach pictures of mid-after clean up. Don't know what the next step or how to troubleshoot, anyone who had the problem please help me find it. We're getting a big rain storm tomorrow, so if it's from the windshield or the door, I'll try and keep an eye out. It's definitely water and not coolant.

btw!!your floors are a miracle!!!...

Last edited by nujeepguy; 01-23-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:45 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L inline/straight 6-cylinder
Default I found at least one leak!

Update: I found the leak!

For my Jeep, the water was coming in through the gap between the fusebox and its opening in the firewall. How it is now making it's way into the engine compartment after almost 30 years, I don't know, but I'm guessing via worn seal that sits between windshield and body.
I've silicon-ed the gap around the fusebox, plan to add more silicone tomorrow, and then will test in a day or two.

Also, I found that my entire driver side floorboard is completely drenched underneath the carpet. I pulled the carpet padding all the way up to the console, and it's all a puddle on the metal underneath the carpet. I would've removed the console, to pull the carpet up further, but I couldn't solve the puzzle of how to get the console off between the ash tray/dashboard area and the E-brake handle!

The carpet padding has stayed mostly intact, although there is some tearing where it's stuck to the metal floor underneath it, and in those spots/areas, it appears to be rust.
I'm going to research what to do about the rust, and also if I should replace the carpet padding, or treat the padding and/or carpet for mold/mildew, and if I'm supposed to put any adhesive or anything underneath the padding (and/or between padding and carpet) to secure it in place. Once I find all that out, I hope to return here and post my findings, including where to get whatever needed, and how to do the tasks.

I also plan to post pictures here soon of the fusebox area, and the carpet & floorboard.

All for now!
Old 01-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Banned

its all explained in my posts in last 2 months. you can reinvent the wheel but ive covered it,,, im dry...

it comes in above the fuses. messing there is a waste of time.