Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Passenger side leak on floorboard(not coolant)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Passenger side leak on floorboard(not coolant)

So I've been having this leak on the passenger side floor which is water. I checked under the cowl and its relatively clean. I sprayed water on nice and easy with my hose and it poured out onto the ground so I assume that's not an issue. I checked the AC drain and its dripping water after use so I assume that's not it. The seal around the window looks like its in good condition. What else could it be? It's leaking from what looks like to be the heater/blower box? It has a flap on it that opens and closes with a vacuum actuator and when I push that open with my finger it seems wet inside there so I'm assuming the water is coming from inside that box. Again making me assume its the AC drain but that seems to be working? Anything else it could be that allows water to leak in that way?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Condensation? Leak where the antenna is?

Windshield seal? (Mine leaks)

Old 07-15-2013, 10:15 AM

do all of your vents work correctly? i had an issue with this a long while back and it ended up being a crack in the vac line behind the battery, this also caused the cruise control to malfunction. it did not allow the flap to close correctly and made condensation when it was running the ac
Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Why would a vacuum leak cause water on the floor boards?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 AM

not the vac leak but what happens because of the vac leak not letting the flap close correctly
Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by rockstomper92yj
not the vac leak but what happens because of the vac leak not letting the flap close correctly
I'm thinking that would be a sign of the evap core drain being plugged up, if the condensation doesn't have anywhere else to go then it makes sense...but anyways, re-do your blower motor seal. I've seen that on the forums already where people have had leaks from that. And certainly that would leak into the vents if it's coming from there. Also, antenna. Sounds stupid but I've read stories about it. I had the same issue and got my windshield resealed and it went away (mine seemed OK too...)
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 AM

I just sprayed a hose into the cowl again this time a little harder and I held the flap/vent open on the heater box/ blower box and I noticed it seemed to get wetter inside of it by the blades but I couldn't see where it was coming from. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with running AC bc when I run it and park it always leaves a nice puddle. Which means the drain is functioning.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM

So what do you think I should do first? I heard the blower motor seal is a PITA. Actually anything that has to do with a leak in that area is. Also some people said use some clear silicone or rtv around the fresh air vent.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tahenry88
So what do you think I should do first? I heard the blower motor seal is a PITA. Actually anything that has to do with a leak in that area is. Also some people said use some clear silicone or rtv around the fresh air vent.
I can't see the blower motor is that much of a pain, but I haven't personally done it so maybe it is. You could probably just RTV around it without removing it. There is a good thread here somewhere where a guy redid the seal around the fresh air intake in the cowl which was where his leak was coming from.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0L

I had a similar problem...found this when I pulled the plastic inner fender while trimming my fenders.

Name:  59DE3C72-23DB-4994-B7DF-BDA487EB1D73-2355-0000025BAE617035_zps1fdebf14.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  49.6 KB

Spent some time and welded in a patch and seam sealed it
Old 07-15-2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Roblaza
I had a similar problem...found this when I pulled the plastic inner fender while trimming my fenders.

Spent some time and welded in a patch and seam sealed it
That's nasty! Lol and someone said to get to the blower from the engine side of the firewall. Looks like I have to remove the washer bottle to do so. Maybe ill try sealing it from that side since the interior side looks like a whole day project just removing the dash to get to it.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:23 PM

I think it's the fresh air vent just bc of when I sprayed water under the cowl I notice it leak. I didn't spray it anywhere else.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Ah, well that's probably your culprit, then. And the best way indeed is to take the dash all out. If you're going to go through that, better inspect your A/C evaporator core and heater core very closely while you're in there, and replace if necessary. You won't want to have to do that again! Oh, and you will have to evacuate the A/C refrigerant for removal of that HVAC box, I do believe. Such fun.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Ah, well that's probably your culprit, then. And the best way indeed is to take the dash all out. If you're going to go through that, better inspect your A/C evaporator core and heater core very closely while you're in there, and replace if necessary. You won't want to have to do that again! Oh, and you will have to evacuate the A/C refrigerant for removal of that HVAC box, I do believe. Such fun.
I think I'll just RTV it from the outside. Cut an access hole and then make a metal plate for over top of it when I'm done.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 AM

Okay so I ran the AC yesterday a while when I was out and about in the 100 degree weather and it seems it leaks with just the AC running for a while? Wouldn't that mean the condenser drain plug is blocked? Bc I can see it dripping out from underneath still. And when I park it leaves a little puddle. Could it be partially blocked? It doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I have two leaks?

Quick Reply: Passenger side leak on floorboard(not coolant)