Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Passenger Door Locks becoming very confusing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Passenger Door Locks becoming very confusing!

So for some very odd reason my passenger front door and rear door locks do not work electronically. I have to manually use the key or press the lock button.

I have already taken the door apart and tested the door actuator on the another door and it worked. I can also hear the door actuator motor working when I use the key fob or switch.

I have also taken the passenger side control panel off and re-soldered the points and that also did not work. But I can unlock and lock the other doors by the passenger side switches.

So I am completely confused! I really don't want to start throwing new parts at it, but I really do not know what to do. I ruled out a broken wire in the door jam because it is getting power, I ruled out the actuator because I tested it on another door and it worked.

And Also what would make it cause both the passenger front and passenger rear door from not working.

Please help as it is extremely annoying to have to always manually lock and unlock the passenger side.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:19 PM

Bump. Anybody have any experience with this?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Pressing the lock button as in the manual button above the door handle or the switch on the door?

Try looking at the metal arm that goes from the actuator to the button. Mine was bent not too long ago and the electronic buttons wouldn't work so I had to bend it back in shape for it to even lock. If it's bent it will cause more tension on one side and the actuator may not be able to move it.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jooman07
Pressing the lock button as in the manual button above the door handle or the switch on the door?

Try looking at the metal arm that goes from the actuator to the button. Mine was bent not too long ago and the electronic buttons wouldn't work so I had to bend it back in shape for it to even lock. If it's bent it will cause more tension on one side and the actuator may not be able to move it.
Yea, I have to manually push the button above the door handle.

Also That is a good idea, but wouldn't it be just one door? Both the passenger front and rear door do not unlock or lock electronically but they do have power because I can hear the actuator going just nothing happens. Could it still possibly be the control switch board?