Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pasenger electric window

Old 03-26-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pasenger electric window

I have a 2000 and the window won't go up or down I replaced the motor still no luck I'm guessing it's in the switch but witch one has any one else had this problem
Old 03-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre

Likely the switch on the driver door, or the switch connections in the front drivers quarter panel near the floor. I have the same problem with my 97 XJ, and finegling with the quarter panel connections has fixed it temporarily from time to time.
There are some how-to posts here, but I have been unable to figure out how to get to the switches by the armrest, drivers side, as I am too dumb to understand how to get the cover off.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Have you tried to operate it from the drivers door and or do any of the other windows. These things are known for the lock-out button on the drivers door going bad and when it does the windows will ONLY work from the drivers door. If yours seems to be like this do a search and you will find the simple fix.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by gpeade
Have you tried to operate it from the drivers door and or do any of the other windows. These things are known for the lock-out button on the drivers door going bad and when it does the windows will ONLY work from the drivers door. If yours seems to be like this do a search and you will find the simple fix.
Yes all the other windows work and the passenger doesn't work from eather side
Old 03-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Have you checked for power to the switch on the door? Sometimes the wires in the boot going from the body into the door will break.

Im pretty sure the three switches besides the drivers door are identical. If you have power to the switch swap it with one from the rear door. That will at least rule out the switch itself. If you have current I would trace it all the way to the motor. Check both sides (up & down) from both that door and the drivers door. If you find out current is missing from some point then you can trace back to the origin.

Last edited by gpeade; 03-26-2012 at 12:23 PM.