Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Painting rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output
Default Painting rear axle

Ok so i wanted to clean my axle so i could paint it black to make it look better... Well i got some degreaser from autozone and it ate all the paint and what not off leaving me with bare metal on a good bit of my axle. What should i do to prep it and ensure that my new paint wont peel off? What paint should i use on the axle, like is there a specific brand or something i should buy?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a thousand different opinions on this. If you wheel a lot than I'd rattle can it because it's going to get scratched up anyway.

If you're not going to wheel it rattle can paint is still not a bad idea. Just get the correct chassis black and it will look really good.

I use POR 15 products as much as I can. They are more of a coating than a paint and are tough as nails. they are pricey but worth it. I resto modded a 65 mustang years ago and did pretty much everything other than the paint job itself with POR 15 and couldn't have been happier with the results.

The trick to painting anything is the surface being very CLEAN when you paint. Use a tack cloth to get any debris off before you start spraying. If rattle canning for wheeling just clean it and shoot it.

If rattle canning for daily driving you will want to primer it first and then shoot.

If POR 15ing the rear follow the manufacturers instructions.

Any good paint job, be it a rear end or a $100,000 restoration begins and ends with effective prep work. Google it and you will get a LOT of good information.

But seriously, POR15...
Old 06-21-2012, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by LYKOS
There are a thousand different opinions on this. If you wheel a lot than I'd rattle can it because it's going to get scratched up anyway.

If you're not going to wheel it rattle can paint is still not a bad idea. Just get the correct chassis black and it will look really good.

I use POR 15 products as much as I can. They are more of a coating than a paint and are tough as nails. they are pricey but worth it. I resto modded a 65 mustang years ago and did pretty much everything other than the paint job itself with POR 15 and couldn't have been happier with the results.

The trick to painting anything is the surface being very CLEAN when you paint. Use a tack cloth to get any debris off before you start spraying. If rattle canning for wheeling just clean it and shoot it.

If rattle canning for daily driving you will want to primer it first and then shoot.

If POR 15ing the rear follow the manufacturers instructions.

Any good paint job, be it a rear end or a $100,000 restoration begins and ends with effective prep work. Google it and you will get a LOT of good information.

But seriously, POR15...
Alright yeah ive been reading about that today after my friend told me about it at lunch, know of any stores that carry it?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:25 AM

Other than the POR15 website and Eastwood company I don't know of any.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Quadratec has it online.....