Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Overheating

Ok, I know I have talked about this before, but my 89 Cherokee Limited is getting really hot. I know it is supposed to run at about 210 degrees, but is it supposed to blow the top off the reserve tank when I shut the engine off? This is the second tank I have gotten and it is still doing it. Is there a better tank? My radiator is enclosed and this is the only way I can fill it. At night it is not to bad, but during the day, here in Southern Cali, it gets real hot. Today the temp topped off at about 270 and it shut the engine off. Really need help with this.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 AM

Does nobody have any info for this?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:09 AM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Check your fans. You may not have fully functioning cooling fans.

I suppose you could also flush your cooling system, but if I were you, I'd get a better radiator as well.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 AM

I flushed it last weekend. Nasty Stuff. I talked to someone about changing the radiator and he said that would be to much of a pain in the butt. He also told me it might just be a malfunctioning thermostat.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

He may be right it could be a bad t-stat. Grab the bottom radiator hose and see if you can feel the flow if it is minimal than the radiator is stopped up or the t-stat is stuck closed or partially closed. A cheap handheld thremometer will pinpoint if the rad has a section which is stopped up.

As for the tank I replaced mine with an aluminum one like this. Clicky
Old 10-30-2008, 05:45 PM

Thanks. I was looking for something like that.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as replacing the rad goes, it's cake!! Whoever told you that it was hard was wrong. It can easily be done with basic hand tools and a service manual. If it needs to be replaced at all, sometimes a rad shop can core them out and basically rebuild them for a nominal fee. I have a shop locally that does it all the time. I bought one of their rebuilt rads for a car I had years ago, and it worked great for several years, until I sold the car!! HTH!!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

Just a thought... My buddy has an 89 and after his fan blades went through the old rad, he asked me if i knew a better cooling setup. We put the newer rad (ie. my 94) which has its own cap... The problem with the older systems is that air usually gets trapped in the lines and makes them prone to overheat if not completely bled out.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Gone but not forgotten

could be many different things here but I think you should start with the t stat , then check the fans especially if your running a fan clutch, after that check for "burping" make sure all the air is out of the system. there is alot you can do to keep or lower the running temp on an XJ but you first have to have the system running correctly.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:29 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: Inline6

take your hood off.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Originally Posted by creepinjeepin
take your hood off.

Really?? I don't consider that a "fix" to the problem. Would be kinda "Mad Max" looking!!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Do you hear banjos?

To properly "burp" a Renny, you need to park with the rear of the Jeep higher than the front. Remove the temp sensor on the rear of the head, it has one wire leading to it, I think. I don't recall which side of the head it's on...help here guys. Air wants to go to the highest point and will escape through that opening. Once you're getting straight coolant, you should be good to go!! Please feel free to chime in here guys, I may have very well missed something!! Laters!!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Coolant temp sender is on the drivers side rear of the head. It is not hard to get to and with the rear wheels on ramps or backed up a hill is all that is needed. Pull that sender and fill the system slowly until you have coolant flowing from the sender hole. Then put your sender back in place with a dab of antiseize on the threads. plug the wire back in and you are ready to ride again.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:33 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Coolant temp sender is on the drivers side rear of the head. It is not hard to get to and with the rear wheels on ramps or backed up a hill is all that is needed. Pull that sender and fill the system slowly until you have coolant flowing from the sender hole. Then put your sender back in place with a dab of antiseize on the threads. plug the wire back in and you are ready to ride again.
Tried it with no luck. As soon as I opened the sender the coolant began to flow. Now here's the problem, the top radiator hose (the large one) is still empty. Any help would be great. This is my 4th Cherokee over the years and I'll never own anything else.
By the way my last one went to the yard with 305,000 on it, and I drove her there.

GTP
Old 11-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99

i'd check the thermostat first, Mine was doing the same thing and i flushed the radiator out real good and removed the thermostat. but if you need a radiator I've got one here i can send you.

Quick Reply: Overheating