Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Overheating

I have a 94' Cherokee. I put in a used but newer better raidator then what was in there(the old one, half of it was rotted away/no fin's, bent fine's and leaked), put new overflow line(the old one had a hole in it and someone use'd tape as a repair), and fixed leak in upper fright hose. There's no thermostate and has a electric fan on with switch(I leave on once I start it) and has new idler pulley and belt but still seems to wanna run hot, just did a radaitor flush today but it'll be about 2-3 day's before flushing out the acid from the kit as it say's to run 3-6 hours. But just wandering if not having a thermostate is making it run hot because of it being efi with a computer or bad water pump or what??

Thanks
Old 11-23-2009, 05:39 PM

Year: 92/96
Engine: 4.0

Check for leaks. The smallest leak can cause it to run hot. Start looking around the thermostat housing, then around the water pump and the raid cap if it's not new for starters. You don't have to see a puddle for there a leak, most likely is evaporating before it puddles. If you give up buy a dye to put in an use a black light to track it down. Also does it still overheat with the heat full blast?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 PM

Year: 92/96
Engine: 4.0

Also are you sure you got it burp all of the air out? I have had issues getting them to burp sometimes. Try putting the driverside tire on a ramp and let her warm up with the cap off till she starts to overflow a bit another thing you can try which is dangerous but works is get it up to temp then grab a plastic bag and a rag, then turn the raid cap till it starts to gurgle.don't take it off. It should blow a little coolant then burp and then more coolant. Tighten your cap and rev it to suck coolant back in. Let it cool then top it off. It can easly look topped even with a huge air bubble. Sounds crazy but it works.Kind of a last resort thing.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:04 PM

Well I bought a thermoaste for it today, put it in tommrow. Yes, sure there is no leaks. Radiator is used but was in perfect condition, the upper hose had a leak but just cut it down to where the leak got cut out and put the hose back on and pretty sure got all the air out, have ran it with the cap off multply of time's. But hopefully wih a thermoaste and new gasket it'll run normal(got a 180* thermoaste) was going to get a 160* but going to go get a radiator tommrow as a second radiator, going to run the heater hose to it and put an e-fan on it.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Just a thought. Have you checked your mech fan clutch? It should be hard to turn with your hand when engine is at operating temp. I had a heat problem with mine (the temp light never came on) but I could just tell it was getting WAY too hot. I replaced the fan clutch and that helped quite a bit.

Just an idea, only reason I bring it up is due to having to replace mine and it being a source of heat problems.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:31 PM

actually ya it doesn't pull much air at idle, wasn't really thinking much of it as I was just going to take it off and put an e-fan their like what the guy before me did on the other side. But yea I did forget about that, that's probley the main problem just pulling good air on the one side of the radiator witht the electric fan.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bad94Cherokee4x4
actually ya it doesn't pull much air at idle, wasn't really thinking much of it as I was just going to take it off and put an e-fan their like what the guy before me did on the other side. But yea I did forget about that, that's probley the main problem just pulling good air on the one side of the radiator witht the electric fan.

well It might not be the full fix but It will definitely help.

Good luck getting it all worked out though!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 PM

Thanks guys I really do appercaite the help!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:02 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 6

Originally Posted by Bad94Cherokee4x4
just did a radaitor flush today but it'll be about 2-3 day's before flushing out the acid from the kit as it say's to run 3-6 hours.
What "kit" did you buy?

BTW the engine needs to have the restriction of the T-Stat to control water flow throughout the cooling system. Without it, the flow will be too fast causing overheating.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 PM

they have a kit from advance from peek, called a radiator flush kit and you also wanna get the peek flush fluid with it(pretty much the acid to clean the radiator and water flow throughtout the motor. Ill get picture's tommrow.

That makes sence, so once I get the t-stat in and take the clutch fan out and replace it with electric fan it probley will run much better. Prolbey still going to run another radaitor to the back off heater hose as kinda of a back, get's pretty hot in florida.

Thanks guy's so much I really apperciate all the help!