Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Overheating

Ok so I have a 1999 jeep cherokee XJ 4.0L I've burped the system and sitting and idling she runs at about 195-200 degrees but when I drive she spikes up and over heats now I did find out both upper and lower hoses are collapsing so I'm gonna get both new hoses and springs for both to correct that. Should I go ahead and replace the thermostat to eliminate any other issues? There's no metal or anything in the coolant so I believe the water pump is fine or should I say the hell with it and change it all? I think the hoses are my issue it doesn't do it per say every time I know it's both the head compression reads equal across the board plus it's the cast iron head so head gasket is fine just need some fellow jeepers advice incase I missed something now she does have 35" tires too maybe that plays a part too but gonna get some 33" for daily driver here soon thanks in advance
Old 05-24-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Christopher Glory
Ok so I have a 1999 jeep cherokee XJ 4.0L I've burped the system and sitting and idling she runs at about 195-200 degrees but when I drive she spikes up and over heats now I did find out both upper and lower hoses are collapsing so I'm gonna get both new hoses and springs for both to correct that. Should I go ahead and replace the thermostat to eliminate any other issues? There's no metal or anything in the coolant so I believe the water pump is fine or should I say the hell with it and change it all? I think the hoses are my issue it doesn't do it per say every time I know it's both the head compression reads equal across the board plus it's the cast iron head so head gasket is fine just need some fellow jeepers advice incase I missed something now she does have 35" tires too maybe that plays a part too but gonna get some 33" for daily driver here soon thanks in advance
I'd say do it all at once if you can, I did everything in the cooling system in my 99 except the heater core and mine stays at 215 or so
Old 05-24-2017, 01:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Food for thought:

The cooling system is definitely one of the most important facets of keeping your engine alive. The vehicle you have is a 1999. It's almost 20 years old. When was the last time the cooling system was overhauled? It's highly HIGHLY recommended that update all the components of the cooling system. I wouldn't assume anything is in good shape, especially the waterpump. That impeller could be hitting the inside of the block and you won't even know. I just replaced my original waterpump a few weeks ago at 73k miles. I wasn't having any issues besides the radiator was rotting so I decided to do the entire system. Turns out the waterpump impeller was starting to hit the block. Glad I caught that now.

So moral of the story, do the entire cooling system obviously excluding the heater core since that's a project in itself.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:57 PM

That's what I'd figure I would do it's about 130$ with the ZJ fan clutch all hoses gaskets thermostat with bleeder needle and water pump
Old 05-24-2017, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Here's the fan clutch you want if your looking for an upgrade over stock. It's not a ZJ fan clutch. I went with it when I redid my system but am betting an OEM type replacement would have worked fine.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TEM272310
Old 05-24-2017, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

You wont find hoses with springs .
Old 05-24-2017, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

I cut my old lower hose off the spring, cleaned it, and pushed through the new lower hose. Piece o' cake
Old 05-24-2017, 06:17 PM

That's what I planned to do was find some with springs and put them in the new hoses mine don't have any
Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Here's the fan clutch you want if your looking for an upgrade over stock. It's not a ZJ fan clutch. I went with it when I redid my system but am betting an OEM type replacement would have worked fine.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TEM272310
Yeah it's the same one I found cross reference 215149 advance auto part number
Old 05-25-2017, 05:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Gates still makes universal hose with springs. Just figure out length and size might get lucky then cram away.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Just for the record, the spring was only put in the lower hose at the factory because they would vacuum fill the cooling system.

A properly working cooling system should work just fine without it, but I do understand that it's piece of mind to have it in there.

If the hoses are collapsing, I would think that maybe there is more to it than just old parts. Give everything a good flush before installing the new stuff.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

When I ordered my MOPAR radiator hoses. The lower came with a spring.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:17 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

If the hoses are collapsing, you have much bigger problems than a spring will fix.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

empire331/iStock/Getty Images
Car radiator hoses are the two flexible tubes that circulate coolant from the engine to the radiator, where it is cooled, then back to the engine. There are two types of radiator hoses: molded and flexible. Radiator hoses are constructed from silicone rubber, neoprene and other synthetic materials, and are designed for long service life. Nevertheless, conditions develop that may cause them to collapse or fail altogether.

Clogged Cooling System

• A collapsed radiator hose does not necessarily indicate a bad hose. Buildup of chemical deposits or debris in the cooling system will gradually constrict coolant flow. This and other coolant blockages can cause system overheating and a vacuum sufficient to collapse a weakened hose.
found this