Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overheated, popped a hose off.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Overheated, popped a hose off.

Alright guys, I'm lost. I stopped to grab some food before class tonight, got back in the Jeep and it was overheating. I was like 200 feet away from school so didn't see a problem with just getting it there. I figured I was juts low on coolant seeing is how I have a slow leak somewhere. When I got to schhol the Jeep was smoking like a ****. Coolant just poured everywhere out of the overflow tank. I got back out during a break and just went to fill it up with some coolant, heard it leaking, my hose had popped right off my water pump. I did change that out a few weeks ago so I was thinking maybe I didn't put it back on tight enough. But it still shouldn't have overheated. I don't if something is blocking the lines or not. But something is definitely up. I flushed the whole coolant system right before winter. I don't know what's wrong with it.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:46 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

well its going to overheat if the hose came off...
Did you put the hose back on and fill it up with coolant?
Old 01-26-2016, 08:52 PM

Year: 1998

Right, I understand that. The hose didn't pop off till I pulled into school. I did both yes.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Put your hose back on,fill with 50/50 coolant distilled water mix & check for leaks.
You may have an issue other than a leak but you have to start there.
Watch your temp gauge while it warms up,and if it starts to overheat shut it down.
Then you have cooling issues.
Check everywhere for leaks,hoses,radiator,water pump,etc.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:40 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

When you fill up your coolant again do you hear any gurgling or does the coolant stay in the reservoir? Any visible leaks where you could be losing that amount of coolant? I had the same issue with mine about a month ago. Overheated one day driving, I pulled right over and had blown a hose right at the radiator. I replaced the hose, flushed and refilled the coolant, kept losing coolant but wasn't leaking anywhere. Ended up being a cracked head. If you can't figure it out, drain the oil and see if there is any antifreeze (water) in it.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by RealDrJ
When you fill up your coolant again do you hear any gurgling or does the coolant stay in the reservoir? Any visible leaks where you could be losing that amount of coolant? I had the same issue with mine about a month ago. Overheated one day driving, I pulled right over and had blown a hose right at the radiator. I replaced the hose, flushed and refilled the coolant, kept losing coolant but wasn't leaking anywhere. Ended up being a cracked head. If you can't figure it out, drain the oil and see if there is any antifreeze (water) in it.
I'm fighting this exact issue, I started a new thread but should have just chimed in here. I ordered a new Clearwater head after installing an entire new coolant system minus the heater box and heat carrying hoses. I'll pop back in here with pics and videos if I can. It's the gurgling between the block and head that makes me think I have the same issue...fingers crossed.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 401 Likes on 326 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Since this thread is over 5 years old, a new thread is appropriate.