Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

overhead console headliner measurements

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default overhead console headliner measurements

I'm installing the overhead console out of a 99 XJ into my 98. I have the harness, temp sensor is installed and everything works. The only thing I don't have are measurements for where to cut the holes in the headliner. Theres a really nice writeup for a 96 but that doesn't do me much good... If someone could take some pictures with measurements or just list the measurements for the holes, that would be great. Thanks
Old 11-07-2016, 03:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by rheacox
I'm installing the overhead console out of a 99 XJ into my 98. I have the harness, temp sensor is installed and everything works. The only thing I don't have are measurements for where to cut the holes in the headliner. Theres a really nice writeup for a 96 but that doesn't do me much good... If someone could take some pictures with measurements or just list the measurements for the holes, that would be great. Thanks
If you can give me a bit I will get that for you. I am going to install a '99 overhead in my '00. I have 3 overhead consoles, brackets, and wiring harnesses from '99's and 2 '99 overhead headliners. Been scooping them up when I see them on Craigslist. Figure with all that I can get one working unit. Thing is this won't happen till next spring. I did just repin the big connector at the fuse box yesterday though in anticipation of this project. '99 is different then '00 in that respect. Was going to do a write up next year when done. Will shoot for posting pictures and measurements after work Monday. I might be able to make some sort of template and if so would be more then happy to mail it too you. Just have to find a big enough piece of paper to do this. That is assuming you have the time to wait for it.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Here goes nothing. This is with the fabric on the headliner up. Went more as the crow flies then trying to form the tape measure to curves in the headliner. In the last picture that is 28" on the left and 20 7/8" on the bottom. Sorry for the lousy picture quality. Hoping I go this right. Best to maybe trace something and check with the overhead before cutting. Trying to get this right for you in a logical way makes me glad I took headliners when grabbing overhead consoles too.
Attached Thumbnails overhead console headliner measurements-img_0387.jpg   overhead console headliner measurements-img_0388.jpg   overhead console headliner measurements-img_0392.jpg   overhead console headliner measurements-img_0393.jpg   overhead console headliner measurements-img_0397.jpg  

Last edited by Ralph77; 11-07-2016 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XJlimitedx99 (09-05-2023)